As we finally start seeing some conference play, the B1G is gaining momentum in the polls.
The latest power rankings from BTN are out and there are a few surprises...
1. Michigan State - well, no surprise here. They were touted as the Team To Beat when the season started and nothing has changed. A rough loss in week two vs the Oregon Ducks is the lone bad mark on their record. However, with the Ducks losing to Arizona, that loss may haunt them in the final season standings and playoff chances.
2. Ohio State - this one surprised me! I know the offense is just killing it and as JT Barrett gets more comfortable as the starter, the offense gets better each week, but if they don't fix their defensive woes, beating a bunch of mediocre teams won't get them to the playoffs.
3. Nebraska - I'm telling you, keep an eye on the 'Huskers! They got off to a slow start vs Michigan State last week which hurt them but I fully expect them to be in the B1G championship game representing the west.
4. Northwestern - who-da-thunk-it? The Big Purple Machine is looking good and safety Godwin Igwebuike is a large part of that.
...and now I'll skip to a few teams worth noting at the bottom of the list...
10. Penn State - this was the real surprise for me. I had high hopes for this team and Heisman Hopeful QB Christian Hackenberg but, when compared to the rest of the conference, they are not holding up their end of the bargain. Yeah, it's early in the season, but they need to work on their "style point."
12. Purdue - jumping up two spots this week after beating Illinois (yeah, that's impressive) the fact that they are ranked over Michigan speaks VOLUMES to the problems in Ann Arbor.
13. Michigan - and speaking of Ann Arbor, the mess that is Wolverine football is getting to be too depressing even for a die-hard-hater like me. Where's the fun in beating a bad team? Who likes to pull the wings off of flies or kick puppies? Not me. I like to beat a team that thinks it's got a chance to win and these players show serious doubts in their coaches and their program. Sigh.
That's it for me this week... More B1G matchups this weekend including what could lead to riots in Brady Hoke's neighborhood as Penn State travels to Michigan. Sad, just very sad.