Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, CZW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday afternoon at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE/NXT ***
- Cody Rhodes Asks For His Release: In a very shocking story that hit Twitter on Saturday afternoon, Cody Rhodes tweeted out on Twitter that he wants out of the WWE. Cody sent out two tweets that stated the following:
"The past ten years have been quite the trek, but as of earlier today I have asked for my release from @WWE"
"I’ll speak further on the matter shortly. Thank you to all the pro-wrestling/sports entertainment fans worldwide. Thank you"
With this story breaking just before my W3C deadline, I'll follow up with this story in next Sunday's edition.
- The Shining Stars Debut: This week on RAW, Epico and Primo returned to the WWE with their new Shining Stars tag team gimmick.
- Enzo Update: According to Enzo's tag team partner, Big Cass, Enzo is ready to return any day now from his concussion.
- Luke Harper Update: Luke Harper recently stated that he is looking at possibly returning to action sometime between August and October. Harper is currently rehabbing a MPFL ligament tear and a dislocated patella.
- Nikki Bella Update: Nikki Bella was interviewed recently about the new season of Total Divas. She was also asked if she would ever return to the ring after neck surgery. Nikki stated that she would officially find out in July if she can ever wrestle again.
- Emma Injury: WWE ringside physician Dr. Chris Robinson has stated that Emma has a ruptured disc in her back that will require surgery. Emma stated that she was feeling horrible pain and under went and M.R.I. which showed the injury. It is unknown at this time how long Emma will be side lined.
“It is truly an honor to be named host of the 2016 ESPY's. Not only will the biggest names in sports and entertainment come together to recognize some of the most spectacular athletic performances of the year, but we’ll also raise funds for The V Foundation to further much-needed cancer research.”
- Stephanie McMahon Book: The billion dollar princess, Stephanie McMahon, tweeted out this week that she is currently writing a book about her life growing up in the WWE environment. The plan behind this is that WWE wants Stephanie to have a relationship with the audience. The theory is that if she can do this well, whenever Vince McMahon steps down, she will end up being seen as the heir apparent for the position as WWE boss that she has been groomed for over the span of a decade now. Stephanie has stated that the book will cover a lot of behind the scenes rumors, including the biggest rumor of them all...Did Randy Savage and Stephanie McMahon have a fling which made Vince McMahon hate Savage's guts??
- Vince McMahon Sells Stock: WWE announced this week that the Chairman of the Board, Vince McMahon sold 2,191,894 shares of stock in the company that is worth nearly $40 million dollars. McMahon is left with 37,080,747 shares. Sources are saying Vince sold the shares for estate planning purposes for the benefit of Mr. McMahon and certain members of Mr. McMahon's family.
- Kevin Owens Milestone: This Sunday at WWE Extreme Rules, Kevin Owens will become only the second WWE superstar to ever compete on every single WWE pay per view for his first entire year with the company. The Undertaker was the first to accomplish this feat.
*** TNA Impact Wrestling ***
-- Drew Galloway and Bobby Lashley brawl backstage to kick off Impact.
-- Jeff Hardy defeated Imposter Willow, by pinfall with a Twist Of Fate.
-- Jeff Hardy gets jumped by three imposter Willows and the man behind it all turns out to be Matt Hardy. Matt and the other two Willows leave Jeff laid out.
-- Sienna defeated Velvet Sky, by pinfall with Velvet Sky's career on the line.
-- Mike Bennett announces that he's fighting a TNA Hall of Famer tonight. However, the only HOF'er left on the roster is referee Earl Hebner. Hebner is forced into the match by Bennett.
-- Mike Bennett defeated Earl Hebner, by pinfall with a boot. After the match, Ethan Carter hits the ring and Bennett runs.
-- Mike Bennett announces EC3's next opponent he'll have to beat if he ever wants another match against Bennett. Tyrus appears and attacks EC3 from behind.
-- Ethan Carter defeated Tyrus in a Last Man Standing Match. After the match, EC3 reminded Bennett that he's now beaten two of Bennett's hand picked men.
-- Eddie Edwards and DJ Z defeated Trevor Lee and Andrew Everett, by pinfall after DJ Z hit a DDT.
-- Eli Drake reminded TNA King of the Mountain Champion, Bram, that he still has his feast or fired briefcase. Bram dares Eli to cash it in. Eli says no and then ends up getting beaten down by Bram.
-- Mike Bennett tells Ethan Carter that he has to either pin or submit Matt Hardy in order to get a rematch with Bennett.
-- Drew Galloway vs. Bobby Lashley for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship in a Lumberjack Match ends in a no contest after all hell breaks loose. EC3 brawls with Mike Bennett, The Hardy brothers brawl and Eli Drake and Bram brawl to end the show.
- TNA Behind On Pay Again: This week F4WOnline stated that TNA is again behind on pay to production workers. It was reported that TNA is behind, but not as bad as its been in the past. TNA is being reported as being low on cash which is why payments haven't been made yet. TNA told production workers that they mailed out their checks on April 25th, but as of this writing the production workers still haven't received their checks.
- Wrestler Re-sign: TNA recently announced that they have re-signed former TNA X-Division Champion Tigre Uno to a new TNA contract.
- Velvet Sky Officially Done: This past Tuesday on Impact, Velvet lost a career match to Sienna. This was in fact Velvet's last taped TNA match in the company. Like I stated above in WWE news, rumors are that she's headed to WWE where her boyfriend Bubba Ray Dudley is.
*** Ring Of Honor ***
- ROH/NJPW Partnership Problems?: A recent rumor stated that frustration and tension may be taking place in ROH and NJPW's talent partnership behind the scenes. Both promotions have favored well in the deal, however, some feel that NJPW have been booked winning matches heavily recently. The fans seem to enjoy the matches, but there have been some talk about how the booking has gone as of late. Hunter “Delirious” Johnston is the head booker of ROH and has been known to be an ROH guy for years. The problem is, his booking really favors New Japan over ROH. Clearly, ROH wants to keep the NJPW partnership going, but things have to even out, and many within the company are upset with how things are going. Talent also seem to be quite frustrated to the point where tension is rising backstage.
*** LUCHA UNDERGROUND ***
-- Cage informs Dario that he's out for revenge on Chavo Guerrero for stealing his medallion.
-- Dario announces a Seven Way Dance for the Gift Of The Gods Championship. Cage and Chavo Guerrero brawl during the segment. Guerrero puts the medallion in the belt and qualifies for the Gift Of The Gods Championship match. Dario apologizes to Cage for his misfortune. Cage drops Chavo with Weapon X
-- Daga defeated Argenis, Kobra Moon and Mascarita Sagrada, by pinfall, in a Fatal Four Way Match.
-- Killshot defeated Marty The Moth, by pinfall. After the match, Marty beats down Killshot.
-- Chavo Guerrero defeats Joey Ryan, The Mack, Sexy Star, Sinestro de la Muerte, Aerostar, and Texano, Jr., in a Seven Way Dance, to win the Gift Of The Gods Championship. Chavo pinned Ryan after Cage attacked and laid Chavo on top of Ryan for the pinfall. After the match, Cage says that this was his plan so now he can take the title from Chavo next week because Chavo is a dead man.
*** New Japan Pro Wrestling ***
12. Yujiro Takahashi
11. Tanga Roa
10. Cody Hall
9. Bad Luck Fale
8. Tama Tonga
7. Nick Jackson
6. Mark Jackson
5. Doc Gallows/Luke Gallows
4. AJ Styles
3. Kenny Omega
2. Karl Anderson
1. Prince Devitt/Finn Balor
- Kazuchika Okada Interview: NJPW's Kazuchika Okada was interviewed recently by Sports Illustrated and asked if he would ever join the WWE. Okada said he would never wrestle for WWE cause he feels they wouldn't understand his character and try to change it. Okada also mentioned his short time in TNA and how they had no idea how to use him there. Okada also mentioned that he was surprised that Shinsuke Nakamura signed with the WWE because he feels WWE will miss use him too.
- The Young Bucks Injured: Matt Jackson of The Young Bucks recently announced that The Bucks will be dropping out of the NJPW Best of the Super Junior Tournament due to injuries. Matt stated that he his suffering from a hand injury and his brother Nick is suffering from a rib injury. Matt also stated that The Young Bucks will be out 4-6 weeks.
*** Global Force Wrestling ***
- Show Recap
-- Brandon Scott defeated Pat Buck, by pinfall.
-- The Washington Bullets and Brian Myers (Curt Hawkins) defeated The Heatseekers and Kevin Matthews, by pinfall, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Caprice Coleman defeated The Bullet Club's Chase Owens.
-- Colt Cabana defeated Jason Kincaid, by pinfall.
-- AML World Champ King Shane Williams defeated GFW World Champ Nick "Magnus" Aldis, by pinfall, with an assist from James Storm.
-- GFW Nex-Gen Champion Sonjay Dutt defeated Cedric Alexander, by pinfall, to retain the GFW Nex-Gen Championship.
-- Matt Hardy defeated Jeff Jarrett and Ethan Carter, by pinfall, in a Triple Threat Steel Cage Match, to win the Wrestlecade Championship. After the match, Matt Hardy left the ring, sat back down at his meet and greet table and took more pictures and signed autographs! How awesome!!
*** OTHER NEWS ***
- Not Just The Coolest: This week a press release was issued announcing a documentary on former ECW World Champion, Justin Credible. The documentary will chronicle Credible's final match of his career and his retirement. On November 20, 2015, Credible wrestled his last match against longtime foe, Tommy Dreamer.
- Kentucky Seeking Return Of Wrestling: New KBWC chairman Chad Miller was interviewed recently and Miller stated that he is on a mission to bring WWE events back to Kentucky. It’s been over 5 years since WWE has run a television or pay-per-view event in Kentucky due to the strict regulations enforced by the previous team in charge. According to Insider Louisville, the previous officials in charge sent WWE a letter in 2010 after the last RAW event they held in town due to blood in one of the matches and said WWE would only be allowed to come back if their officials were present and had the right to stop a match. Besides the occasional house show, WWE hasn’t held a major event there since and many feel this new commission could finally end the years long drought.
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!