It's the Weekend 3 Count, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE. The W3C, brings you news and rumors going on around the wrestling world. Whether it's WWE, NXT, TNA, GFW, ROH, Lucha Underground or the independent wrestling scene, I'll talk about it.
*** WWE and NXT News ***
- This week on RAW, Ryback made his return from his staph infection injury. Daniel Bryan appeared on Miz TV. The CW's Arrow star Stephen Amell attacked Stardust. Randy Orton came close to winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship from Seth Rollins, but Sheamus stopped that. And Sheamus almost cashed in his Money In The Bank briefcase, but Orton returned the favor and stopped that.
- John Cena has officially accepted Seth Rollins Title vs. Title Match at Summer Slam. Cena has been out with a broken nose and it was unknown if Cena would've been cleared to wrestle in time.
- WWE put a plan B match in motion just in case John Cena wasn't cleared to wrestle at Summer Slam, due to his broken nose. By having Sheamus interfere in the Randy Orton vs. Seth Rollins match, they would've added Sheamus and made it a Triple Threat Match at Summer Slam. This again was only if Cena wasn't cleared to come back.
- Roman Reigns Attacked By Fan: During a live WWE house show this past week in British Columbia, Roman Reigns, was attacked by a fan while wrestling Bray Wyatt. The fan tossed a replica Money In The Bank briefcase at Reigns, striking Reigns in the back of the head. Reigns was stunned, and took a couple minutes to recoup, but was able to finish the match against Bray. The attacking fan was escorted out of the arena by security. No charges were filed on the fan, but he has been banned from attending any future WWE shows. The following video is a fan cam video showing the aftermath of the attack.
- Dolph Ziggler was also the latest superstar to get his Twitter account hacked this week. Ziggler's account was hacked on Monday afternoon as very vulgar tweets were made.
- There has been talk of WWE possibly using Sting for Night of Champions in September or Survivor Series in November. Sting was originally scheduled for Summer Slam, however, was pulled from the card due to WWE stating the match card was already stacked with talent and big matches. Adding Sting would've been over kill on the top talent.
- Rumors have made the rounds in WWE about King Barrett dropping the King gimmick. There have been talks of having Barrett return to his Bad News Barrett gimmick. Now if only that would include letting Barrett win more that would be great.
- Brad Maddox returned at a WWE dark match last week with his new ring name Joshua Kingsley. Kingsley was defeated by Zack Ryder. So much for that new gimmick when you have to job to Ryder.
- NXT Women's Champion Sasha Banks was on Talk Is Jericho this week. Sasha talked about the NXT Revolution, wanting to become a wrestler, being frustrated with wrestling at one time, Ronda Rousey and wanting to main event a pay per view. You can listen to that HERE.
- Former NXT superstar, CJ Parker officially announced his retirement from wrestling this week.
- This week on Impact, GFW owner Jeff Jarrett ran the show. We witnessed TNA vs. GFW matches. Bobby Roode assaulted Rockstar Spud. Mr. Anderson challenged Bram to an Open Mic Challenge. GFW's PJ Black became the new TNA King of the Mountain Champion and earned a TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match next week against Ethan Carter III.
- The King of the Mountain Match on Impact this week was the first time that match ever took place on free tv.
- Former TNA World Heavyweight Champion Bobby Lashley has another MMA fight coming up soon. Lashley will compete on November 6th at Bellator 145: Vengeance, from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. No word yet on who his opponent will be.
- TNA is giving Kurt Angle a possible return time at around October. Angle had successful neck surgery to remove a tumor.
*** GFW News ***
- PJ Black was crowned the new TNA King of the Mountain Champion, this week. Jeff Jarrett vacated the championship and signed a King of the Mountain Match on Impact to crown a new champion.
Black will also receive a TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match next week against Ethan Carter III.
- Jeff and Matt Hardy announced that their OMEGA wrestling promotion now have a working relationship with Jeff Jarrett and GFW. Matt Hardy will defend the OMEGA World Title against Jeff Jarrett at a future show.
- Jeff Jarrett and GFW officially announced they are working with Future Stars of Wrestling in Las Vegas. FSW is hosting tryouts for an opportunity to make the GFW roster. The event is August 20th at the FSW Training Facility and costs $200 to tryout. Two lucky winners will be put in a GFW TV taping.
- GFW announced that they will help promote Roddy Piper's last movie that he recently made entitled "The Masked Saint". GFW will promote the movie during TV tapings and help promote its January 2016 release.
*** ROH News ***
- ACH defeated Watanabe in the opening bout. ACH hits a 450 Splash on Watanabe to pick up the pinfall.
- War Machine defeated J Diesel and Donavon Dijak in a Handicap Match. ROH World and Television Champion Jay Lethal sat at commentary for this. War Machine hits Fallout on Diesel to pick up the pinfall.
- Adam Page defeated Tim Hughes. BJ Whitmer was on crutches in Page's corner with an apparent ACL injury. Page hit Rite of Passage to pick up the pinfall, in a squash match.
- Matt Taven and Michael Bennett defeated Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, in the main event to close the show. Adam Cole came out and was on commentary. Taven and Bennett take O'Reilly out of the match by spike pile driving him on the floor. Taven and Bennett hit the spike pile driver on Fish to score the pin. After the match, Taven and Bennett went for another spike piledriver, but Cole teased getting involved and Taven and Bennett left.
*** Lucha Underground News ***
- Lucha Underground talent have been told that they have permission to take independent wrestling jobs through the rest of 2015. No word on if there will be a second season of Lucha Underground and if so the tapings probably won't begin until 2016.
- Seattle Seahawks Quarterback Russell Wilson was backstage at RAW this week as a special guest. The Prime Time Players posted a picture on Twitter, hanging out with the Super Bowl winning quarterback.
And that's your Weekend 3 Count. Join me next Sunday afternoon for more news and rumors around the wrestling world.