Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE ***
- Luke Harper Update: Harper has been officially cleared to return to the ring and is being advertised locally for several up and coming Raw brand live events, which could be an indicator that Harper will be apart of RAW.
- Summer Rae Update: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that Summer Rae, who's yet to return since being drafted to RAW in July, is currently dealing with back and elbow issues. There is currently no time frame on when she'll return.
- Devon Dudley Working For WWE: There have been rumors that Devon Dudley could be returning to the WWE in a backstage role, possibly as an agent. Devon and his best friend and tag team partner Bubba Ray Dudley currently own the Team 3D Wrestling Academy in Kissimmee, Florida.
- Future Possible Tournaments: With the highly successful WWE Cruiserweight Classic Tournament concluding last week, WWE may be going back to the well for other possible tournament ideas. WWE have stated that four ideas are possible tournament plans in the future.
1.) WWE Women's Tournament. This would showcase different women throughout the world as well as talent in WWE and NXT.
2.) WWE Tag Team Tournament. This would showcase different tag teams throughout the world and in WWE and NXT.
3.) No Weight Limit Tournament: This would showcase any and all talent throughout the world and in WWE and NXT.
4.) King Of The Ring. WWE has consistently dropped the ball with the victor of the KOTR tournament the past few years (King Sheamus and King Barrett). But showcasing wrestlers throughout the world and taking the KOTR tournament seriously could be huge.
- Possible New Faction Coming: The Wrestling Observer recently stated that the WWE could have a possible new stable coming in 2017. According to the Wrestling Observer, there is a stable being discussed with Dolph Ziggler to be the leader and it involving amateur wrestlers only in the faction. Right now WWE is looking at calling them The Shooters Club and it including Ziggler, Shelton Benjamin and Jack Swagger, as all three have amateur wrestling backgrounds. The group will be very similar to The Varsity Club stable in the 80's WCW era, which helped put over Rick Steiner, Mike Rotunda, Steve Williams, Kevin Sullivan, and Dan Spivey.PWInsider.com, WWE has signed Cruiserweight Classic competitor Lince Dorado. Dorado will be working Raw Cruiserweight Division matches and some live events. Dorado made it to the second round of the WWE Cruiserweight Classic before being eliminated.
- Clash of Champions Recap: As always if you can't catch WWE Clash of Champions tonight, check out Triple Threat CLE on Monday afternoon and I will provide you with the full show recap.
*** NXT ***
- Seth Petruzelli Debut: Former MMA fighter and current trainer at the WWE Performance Center Seth Petruzelli is training for his pro wrestling debut and working at the Team Vision Dojo in Orlando. It's unknown when Petruzelli will make his official debut on TV.
*** TNA ***
- TNA Recap: This week on Impact we found out who advanced to the Finals in the TNA Grand Championship tournament. Bobby Lashley and Mike Bennett battled Ethan Carter and Moose in the main event.
-- "TNA Grand Championship Tournament Match": Drew Galloway vs. Eddie Edwards: The match goes all three rounds. Galloway wins by judges decision, to advance to the Finals.
-- Drew Galloway cuts a promo. Says he was TNA's main soldier, but everyone turned on him. Galloway plans to win the TNA Grand Championship at Bound For Glory. Ethan Carter interrupts. Galloway says EC3 gets special treatment and knows that Bobby Lashley will beat EC3 at Bound For Glory. Bobby Lashley interrupts and heads to the ring. Mike Bennett suddenly attacks EC3 from behind. Bennett and Lashley beat down EC3. Moose hits the ring to even the odds. EC3 and Moose both end up laid out with a Lashley spear.
-- TNA Knockouts Champion Maria Bennett is planning a public workout tonight to prove she's better than Gail Kim.
-- Mike Bennett tries to become friends with Bobby Lashley and asks for a future TNA World Heavyweight Championship match. Lashley takes full credit for the EC3 and Moose beat down earlier and trash talks Bennett.
-- "TNA Grand Championship Tournament Match": Aron Rex vs. Eli Drake: Rex hits The Revelator on Drake in Round 3 to score the pinfall. Rex advances to the Finals.
-- Vanguard One spies on The Decay, plotting for their match against The Hardy's at Bound For Glory.
-- Aron Rex and Drew Galloway go face to face and both claim they will win the TNA Grand Championship.
-- The Decay cut a promo. The Decay plan to destroy the Hardy Legacy, they won't fear The Great War, they will embrace it. Broken Matt Hardy appears in the crowd and promises The Decay's tag title reign will be deleted. Brother Nero Jeff Hardy appears in another section of the crowd and promises The Decay will become obsolete. Rosemary says they are still outnumbered 3-2. The lights go out and return on with Abyss and Steve tied up and Reby Sky standing behind Rosemary. Reby attacks Rosemary and chases her from the ring.
-- TNA X Division Champion DJ Z cuts a promo. DJ Z wants to be a fighting champion so he issues an open challenge. Trevor Lee and Andrew Everrett come out together and Lee accepts the challenge.
-- "TNA X Division Championship Match": DJ Z (c) vs. Trevor Lee: DJ Z hits a hurricanrana on Lee and then the DDZ to score the pinfall. After the match, Lee and Everett attack DJ Z. Eddie Edwards makes the save and helps DJ Z clear the ring. Edwards asks for a title shot and DJ Z accepts.
-- Maria Bennett's Public Workout: Maria says she's the greatest TNA Knockouts Champion of all time. Allie tries to announce Maria's opponent, but Maria tells her to shut up and stand in the corner, as Maria's unknown opponent enters the ring. The referee gets distracted, allowing Sienna to choke out Maria's opponent. Maria then scores the easy pinfall. Maria demands another opponent, but Allie only got the one for her. A masked woman appears and challenges Maria. Maria insults Allie some more and the masked woman reveals herself as Gail Kim. Gail goes for Eat Defeat on Maria, but Sienna makes the save. Maria escapes as Sienna gets laid out with Eat Defeat.
- My Thoughts On The Cody Rhodes Signing: My opinion, this is huge for TNA who have recently just come off of the signing of Aron Rex (Damian Sandow). Rhodes was destined to be a star in the WWE, but poor management and a dumb gimmick sidelined Rhodes from hitting his full potential. TNA can do one of two things with Rhodes right now. #1. Reunite Rhodes with his former WWE tag team partner Aron Rex and throw in Cody's wife Brandi as their manager/tag team partner and push them in major title matches. This could obviously lead to a future feud possibly over the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. #2. Just go all in on Rhodes now and give him the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Rhodes honestly has proven enough of himself in the WWE to the point where TNA really doesn't need to build Rhodes up in the company. Smart booking would say to have Rhodes take the title from who ever wins the Bobby Lashley vs. Ethan Carter match at Bound For Glory. One thing is for sure, after meeting Rhodes personally, which you can read that story below, I'm hoping for nothing but the best for Cody Rhodes.
- TNA Interested In Paige: Dave Meltzer reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that while Paige was having her issues with WWE during her 30 day suspension, TNA was trying to get Paige to sign with them after Paige was cleared from all WWE contracts. Paige has since settled her issues with the WWE and plans to return to them and finish out her contract which goes till April of 2019.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
- ROH TV Recap: This week the backstory and war between War Machine, Shane Taylor and Keith Lee heats up.
-- Steve Corino returned and sits back in at commentary with Kevin Kelly.
-- The Cabinet vs. The Guerrillas of Destiny: Tonga hits a modified superman punch on Rhett Titus. GOD hit their double team finisher Guerilla Warfare and score the pinfall.
-- Jay Lethal cuts a promo. Lethal wants to defeat his former friend Tetsuya Naito before going back after the ROH World Championship.
-- Shane Taylor cuts a promo. Taylor says Ray Rowe of War Machine trained him, but then turned his back on him for stardom. It has now become his mission to destroy Rowe and Hanson.
-- Shane Taylor and Keith Lee vs. Ken Phoenix and Ricardo Rojas: Lee power bombs Phoenix and Taylor hits a splash to score the pinfall.
-- Shane Taylor and Keith Lee cut a promo. Taylor and Lee call out War Machine and War Machine arrive. Ray Rowe gives his side of the story about Shane Taylor. Rowe claims to have trained, fed, given shelter and took care of Taylor, but Taylor turned his back on Rowe. War Machine hit the ring and we get an impromptu match.
-- War Machine vs. Shane Taylor and Keith Lee: All four men brawl around ringside. Rowe goes for a suicide dive, but Taylor baseball bat swings a steel chair and connects on Rowe. Hanson grabs a steel chair and unloads on Taylor. The referee throws the match out as a double DQ. After the match, Hanson gets laid out. Taylor and Lee then power bomb Rowe through two set up steel chairs.
- Bull James Debuts: Former NXT up and comer Bull Dempsey made his ROH debut this week at a house show in Lockport, New York. Dempsey is now wrestling under the ring name Bull James.
Next Friday, September 30th, Ring of Honor returns with ROH All Star Extravaganza 8. I'll have the full recap of the show for you next Sunday in the Weekend 3 Count.
- "ROH World Championship Match": Adam Cole (c) vs. Michael Elgin
- "ROH Television Championship Match": Bobby Fish (c) vs. Donovan Dijak
- "ROH World Tag Team Championship, Triple Threat Ladder Match": The Addiction (c) vs. The Motor City Machine Guns vs. The Young Bucks
- "ROH Six Man Tag Team Championship Tournament Match": The Briscoes and Toru Yano vs. ACH, Lio Rush and Jay White
- Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi
- Jay Lethal vs. Tetsuya Naito
*** Lucha Underground ***
-- Rey Mysterio is training Dragon Azteca, getting him ready for a future confrontation with Pentagon Dark. Chavo Guerrero interferes, takes Dragon down to the mat in an arm bar and says maybe he should teach Dragon about Le Famiglia Guerrero. Chavo releases Dragon and leaves.
-- Dario Cueto spins the Dial of Doom wheel and it lands on The Mack.
-- "Lucha Underground Championship": Matanza Cueto (c) vs. The Mack: The Mack misses a frog splash as Cueto gets his knees up. Cueto hits the Wrath of The Gods on Mack and gets the victory, to retain the championship.
-- Johnny Mundo demands Dario Cueto to spin the wheel again because he wants his chance. Cueto instead offers Mundo a Lucha Underground Trios Championship match tonight. Mundo refuses and walks out. Taya says she'll be Mundo's replacement if he doesn't want it. Cueto accepts the offer.
-- "Ultimate Opportunity Match": Cage vs. Texano: Cage hits the 360 Discus Lariat on Texano for the pinfall. After the match, Dario Cueto announces that he failed to mention that this was a best of five series, so no reward for Cage just yet.
-- Dario Cueto looks at pictures in an envelope then tosses them in the garbage as El Dragon Azteca interrupts. Azteca wants a match with Pentagon. Cueto says no and instead wants Azteca to face Black Lotus. Ricky Mandel interrupts next asking Dario Cueto for a future match. Cueto gives Mandel the pictures he threw in the garbage because Mandel thinks they're cool. Chavo Guerrero interrupts next and needs to talk to Cueto privately.
-- "Lucha Underground Trios Championship Match": Fenix, Aerostar and Drago (c) vs. PJ Black, Jack Evans and Taya: A six person brawl breaks out all around ringside. Aerostar hits a hurricanrana and a jumping Code Breaker to score the pinfall, to retain the titles. After the match, Johnny Mundo hits the ring and helps beat down the champions. Sexy Star hits the ring to even things at 4-4. The face team end up clearing the ring.
-- Rey Mysterio tells Dario Cueto that El Dragon Azteca isn't ready for Pentagon. Cueto agrees and says he is giving Dragon a match with Chavo Guerrero instead and the winner gets Pentagon. Cueto also throws out the surprise that Rey will be the guest referee.
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
-- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Ricochet vs. Togi Makabe, Yoshitatsu and Captain New Japan: Kojima, Tenzan and Ricochet win by pinfall. After the match, Yoshitatsu still shows anger toward Captain New Japan for losing again.
-- "Eight Man Tag Team Match": ReDRagon, David Finlay and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yuji Nagata, Tomoaki Honma, Manabu Nakanishi and Tiger Mask IV: Kyle O'Reilly hits Chasing The Dragon on Tiger Mask to score the pinfall.
-- Guerrillas of Destiny vs. Roppongi Vice: Romero goes for the springboard, but gets laid out with the Gun Stun. GOD hit their double team DDT finisher and score the pinfall.
-- The Bullet Club (Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Tomohiro Ishii and Hirooki Goto: Ishii and Goto take the match after pinning Owens.
-- "Eight Man Tag Team Match": Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA and BUSHI) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, KUSHIDA and Juice Robinson: Elgin gets attacked and taken out with a chair shot to the knee. Elgin limps back out later in the match and scores the pinfall with the Elgin Bomb on EVIL.
-- "IWGP Tag Team Championship Match": The Briscoe Brothers (c) vs. The Young Bucks: The Young Bucks survive the Jay Driller and a Splash Mountain/neck breaker combo for near falls. The Briscoe's, however, finally finish off The Bucks with the Doomsday Device, to score the pinfall and retain the titles. After the match, the Guerrillas of Destiny hit the ring, beat down The Briscoes and leave them laid out.
-- "ROH World Championship Match": Adam Cole (c) vs. Will Ospreay: Cole lands a super kick, a Canadian Destroyer and then finishes off Ospreay with the Last Shot to score the pinfall and retain the championship.
-- Bad Luck Fale vs. Kazuchika Okada: Okada defeats Fale by pinfall in a near 20 minute match.
-- "#1 Contender’s Match": Kenny Omega vs. YOSHI-HASHI: Omega put his G1 #1 contenders match on the line in this match. YOSHI-HASHI gets a near fall after hitting Omega with the Loose Explosion. YOSHI-HASHI also comes close to making Omega tap out twice with a butterfly lock. Omega hits the One Winged Angel and scores the pinfall, retaining his #1 Contendership. After the match, Goto trash talks Omega. Omega reminds Goto that he already beat him in the G1 Tournament last month.
- New Bullet Club Merchandise: The Bullet Club have recently released a new shirt you can purchase at NJPW. The Bullet Club have become one of the most popular factions in the wrestling world today after starting out in Japan.
*** House Of Hardcore ***
Tommy Dreamer's HOH returned last weekend in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Tommy Dreamer battled Broken Matt Hardy in the main event.
-- Robbie E vs. Lance Anoa’i: Robbie scores the pinfall, after Anoa’i misses a frog splash and Robbie rolls up Anoa’i with a handful of tights.
-- Robbie E cuts a promo. Robbie says he's the greatest wrestler in HOH history. Santino Marella interrupts and offers a handshake. Robbie slaps Marella's hand away so Marella hits Robbie with The Cobra.
-- "Triple Threat Elimination Match": Alex Reynolds vs. Pat Buck vs. John Silver: Silver eliminates Buck, by pinfall, with a lung blower. Reynolds scores the pinfall on Silver to win the match.
-- Terry Funk cuts a promo: Tommy Dreamer intros his wrestling idol, Terry Funk. Funk thanks the Philadelphia fans, says they are the best and he'd never leave the ring if he was allowed to never leave it.
-- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Vik Dalishus, TJ Marconi, and Eddie Kingston vs. Team Tremendous (Dan Barry and Bill Carr) and Connor Braxton: Carr hits the Canadian Destroyer on Dalishus. Kingston hits Dalishus with a back fist to the head and scores the pinfall. Due to the loss and a Pre Match stipulation, Bill Carr now has to leave HOH.
-- Chris Hero vs. Tony Nese: Hero countered a hurricanrana and hit a Piledriver on Nese to score the pinfall.
-- Brian Myers and Swoggle vs. The Underground Luchador and Mascarita Dorada: The Underground Luchador wrestled in a black mask and wore a Lucha Underground shirt. He finally took off the mask and revealed himself as Lucha Underground's own Matt Striker. Dorada went for a springboard, but ate a Myers superkick on the landing, allowing Myers to score the pinfall.
- Brian Myers cuts a promo. Myers thanks all the fans for standing by his side. Myers then turns on the fans and tells them to kiss his ass because he's going up north to become rich, become Triple H's best friend and won't have to deal with HOH anymore. Swoggle turns heel too and asks Myers to take him up there too. Ryback, now going by The Ryback interrupts, hits a Meat Hook on Myers and Shell Shock on Swoggle.
-- Ricochet vs. Sami Callihan: Ricochet hits an Ace Crusher, the Benedryller and a 650 senton on Callihan to score the pinfall. After the match, Ricochet and Callihan shake hands, but then Callihan grabs Ricochet and kisses him. Ricochet is disgusted by those actions.
-- Bubba Ray Dudley cuts a promo. Bubba says he wasn't visiting to get involved, but wasn't going to let Hardy set Dreamer on fire. Bubba asks Hardy how would he like it if he puts Dixie Carter through a table again, or maybe put his wife and son through a table, or maybe burn down his house in Cameron, North Carolina. Bubba says his options are open now, maybe he'll just return and burn down the TNA Impact Zone. Bubba closes out the show by hyping Dreamer vs. Hardy in a Steel Cage Match at the next HOH event.
*** Big Time Wrestling ***
After Flair I headed over to meet another legend...Ricky The Dragon Steamboat. What a class act, Steamboat spoke to every single person whether they wanted a picture, an autograph or just wanted to talk to the legend and shake his hand. I got a picture with Steamboat and was able to hold the Big Gold Belt in the picture. Sitting next to Steamboat was another man that had his career sadly cut short, Magnum TA. I felt bad for Magnum as he sat there still with a knee brace on from the car accident that cost him his career in the 80's. I shook Magnum's hand and thanked him.
I next headed over to chat with one half of the rock and roll legends, The Rock And Roll Express' Ricky Morton. Another classy guy that talked to every single person that walked up to his table. I shook his hand and gave him my fond memories of the Rock And Roll/Midnight Express feuds of the 80's.
I spotted TNA's Trevor Lee next and shook his hand as I made my way over to the last wrestler on my "Get A Picture With" list...Cody Rhodes. What a very classy and nice guy! I got a personalized autograph with my name on it and a picture. I tried to get out of him where he was headed next, which he responded "you'll have to wait and see" with a smile. Later that night I learned TNA announced the future arrival of Cody with the company in October.
There was some great independent talent on the card that I was blown away by and some goofy gimmicks too. One wrestler named Cousin Larry, dressed in flannel, a blue one piece suspender outfit and came out to Black Sabbath's The Wizard. A couple dressed in neon green, with arm and leg band streamers that kinda reminded me of something The Rockers would've worn caught my eye. They went by The Neon Ninjas (Facade and Dani) and came out to the Go Ninja Go song from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Big Time Wrestling World Champion went by the name Flex Armstrong. If you were to take Chris Masters and mix him with Ryback and Scott Steiner and give him perfect mic skills that would give you Flex in my opinion. Flex talked alot of trash and took time to do mid promo and match push ups.
After it was all said and done, I had a great time. With my current work schedule coming up with me actually getting a day time job and not be on third shift anymore, I'm planning on hitting more meet and greets as they are always going on in North and South Carolina.
*** W3C Wrestler Of The Week ***
- AAA Latin American Champion (1 time)
- Lucha Libre World Cup Winner (2016 Men's Division) – with Chavo Guerrero Jr. and Brian Cage
- Lucha Underground Champion (1 time)
- Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods Champion (1 time)
- Lucha Underground Trios Champion (1 time) – with Jack Evans and PJ Black
- ECW World Champion (1 time)
- WWE Intercontinental Champion (3 times)
- WWE World Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with The Miz
- WWE Smackdown World Tag Team Champion (4 times) – with Joey Mercury (3) and The Miz (1)
- Tough Enough Season 3 Winner with Matt Cappotelli
- WWE Slammy Award Winner (2 times)
Tag Team of the Year (2008) – with The Miz and Best WWE.com Exclusive (2008) – with The Miz
Johnny Mundo was trained by Bill DeMott, Al Snow and Ivory who were the original three trainers from the old Tough Enough show. Mundo has also won many titles in the independent promotions and is still high on WWE's radar to return to the company in the future. Mundo, as Johnny Nitro was well known in the WWE teaming with Joey Mercury and real life girlfriend Melina in their MNM faction. Nitro switched his name to John Morrison when he debuted in ECW and went with a gimmick that resembled The Doors' lead singer Jim Morrison. Morrison also had great success teaming with The Miz and running with a Hollywood team style gimmick.
- John Morrison and The Miz vs. Degeneration X:
- Johnny Mundo vs. Alberto El Patron:
- Top 12 Johnny Mundo Moves:
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!