Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE ***
- Alberto Del Rio Done: It has been rumored for the past few weeks that Alberto Del Rio would in fact take the clause in his contract that said he could opt out in September. WWE have granted Del Rio's wishes and have officially released Del Rio from the WWE. WWE posted the following on their website.
"WWE and Jose Rodriguez (Alberto Del Rio) have mutually agreed upon the terms of his release as of today, September 9, 2016."
- Sasha Banks Returns: Sasha Banks returned this past Monday on RAW and scared a few people with her emotional promo that almost sounded like a retirement speech. Sasha was really setting up Charlotte and announcing she's the #1 contender to Charlotte's WWE Women's Championship.
- Cesaro vs. Sheamus Match #4: Cesaro finally picked up a win in he and Sheamus' best of seven series, during a non televised live event this week in London. Cesaro caught Sheamus off guard and scored a surprise rollup pinfall. Sheamus currently leads the series 3-1.
- WWE Announces New Senior VP Of Communications: WWE announced on Tuesday that Chris Bellitti has been announced as the new Senior Vice President of Communications. Bellitti, who previously held senior positions at FOX Sports and ESPN, will report directly to Brian Flinn, WWE Executive Vice President of Marketing and Communications. As the head of WWE’s Communications division, Bellitti will be a key member of the company’s senior management team, responsible for providing strategic vision for WWE’s internal and external global communications initiatives across key business units.
- Finn Balor Update: According to WrestlingNewsWorld.com, Finn Balor’s torn labrum injury was worse than expected. An MRI revealed a labrum tear but it wasn’t discovered until he had surgery that the tear was twice as big as expected. In addition, there were issues with his bicep and pectoral in addition to bone fragments. WWE have raised Balor's return from 4 to 6 months to just 6 months now. WWE aren't taking any chances and want Balor at a full 100% come Wrestlemania 33. WM33 is currently looking like Balor's return match at this time.Change.org has started a petition stating that the vest that Reigns wrestles in causes an unfair advantage, helps Reigns cheat and has damaged the integrity of the sport. The petition further reads as follows.
“Roman Reigns has been systematically breaking the rules of Admiral-Lord Mountevan’s Unified Rules of Professional Wrestling through the use of illegal body armor to protect himself during the course of matches with legitimately dressed competitors, and has been doing so throughout his career. We require swift action that prohibits the use of this body armor in all future WWE contests by Mr. Reigns and anyone else.”
- WWE Applies For A Trademark: According to PWInsider.com, WWE recently applied to trademark the phrase “Skull King” for performance use. The phrase appears to be planned to be used for Triple H, but that is not yet confirmed.
- The Rock Returning?: WWE have stated that The Rock himself has said that his wrestling career is far from over and we can expect the most electrifying man in sports entertainment to return soon. It's unknown when The Rock would return but many think it could be around Wrestlemania time.
- WWE Signs Two Up And Comers: WWE announced the signings of Alvin Abitz and Max Wessell to developmental deals. Abitz is 6 foot 7, 290 pounds and has a 1-1 record in MMA fighting. Max Wessell is an old collegiate wrestler. Both men are scheduled to report to the WWE Performance Center in October.
- WWE Signs Second Generation Women's Wrestler: According to SquaredCircleSirens, WWE have announced the signing of Victoria Gonzalez. Victoria is a second generation superstar, her father was known for being both Speedy Gonzalez and Rick "Desperado" Gonzalez.
*** Cruiserweight Classic Recap ***
The last of the Elite 8 in the tournament met this week to see who advanced to the Final 4.
-- Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Noam Dar, by submission, with a double arm bar.
-- T.J. Perkins defeated Rich Swann, by submission, with the knee bar.
The Final 4 have come down to:
T.J. Perkins vs. Kota Ibushi
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Gran Metalik
- Cruiserweight Division News: The following ten names have now been announced and will make up the WWE Cruiserweight Division as of now when WWE relaunches the division on September 19th.
Gran Metalik, Akira Tozawa, Jack Gallagher, Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa, Cedric Alexander, Rich Swann, Brian Kendrick, Noam Dar and TJ Perkins.
- WWE Backlash Tonight: Just a friendly reminder, tonight is WWE Backlash live on the WWE Network. If you can't catch tonight's show than be sure to check out my recap Monday afternoon!
*** NXT ***
- NXT In Japan: Triple H announced that for the first time ever NXT will be touring Japan this December. Tickets for the event will go on sale on October 1st. NXT World Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, NXT Women's Champion Asuka and Hideo Itami are all being advertised for the tour in their home country. Bobby Roode and Samoa Joe are also being advertised at the moment.
- New NXT Performance Center Coach: WWE announced that former Attitude Era favorite Scotty 2 Hotty (Scott Taylor) began coaching NXT recruits full time this week in Orlando, Florida.
*** TNA ***
-- Señor Benjamin is shown preparing the Hardy Estate for tonight's Delete or Decay battle. Broken Matt Hardy gives a rally speech to his platoon for tonight's battle.
-- Mike Bennett cuts a promo. Bennett says you should never bite the hand that feeds you, but that is what Moose did, so Moose is fired. Dixie Carter interrupts, tells Bennett to wrap up his promo and he'll be facing Moose at Bound For Glory. Moose hits the ring and corners Bennett. Maria Bennett hits Moose with her TNA Knockouts Championship, distracting Moose long enough for Bennett to escape.
-- Dixie Carter announces that if Mike Bennett refuses to fight Moose at Bound For Glory than he'll be fired. Dixie also strips Maria from her Knockouts Division leadership and makes her defend her title at Bound For Glory against Gail Kim.
-- Gail Kim and Jade defeated Sienna and Allie, by pinfall. Allie accidentally hits Sienna. Sienna drops Allie with a shoulder block, allowing Jade to score the pinfall. After the match, Gail Kim and Jade help Allie up.
-- Broken Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy are shown preparing for battle at the Hardy Estate with giraffes, kangaroos, spider monkeys and tigers. Matt calls two of the spider monkeys Matt and Nick (Referring to ROH's The Young Bucks).
-- TNA President Billy Corgan announces the retirement of the TNA King of the Mountain Championship and the creation of the TNA Grand Championship. The Grand Championship tournament will kick off tonight and will have MMA style rules. Three rounds for three minutes. If there's no winner after three rounds it'll be decided by judges.
-- Drew Galloway suggests to Billy Corgan that he should be the first TNA Grand Champion. Aron Rex interrupts and says Galloway doesn't deserve it. Corgan separates both men and informs them that they're both in the tournament.
-- Drew Galloway defeated Braxton Sutter, by submission to the Iron Maiden, in the third round of the TNA Grand Championship tournament. After the match, Rockstar Spud attacks Sutter and beats him down.
-- Abyss, Crazy Steve and Rosemary are in Cameron, North Carolina where they attack a man in a pickup truck, leave him laying in the road and steal his truck.
-- Bobby Lashley and Ethan Carter cut promos face to face. EC3 says Lashley is a bully, a coward and throwing down the TNA X Division Championship and King of the Mountain Championship was a dick move. Lashley says everyone in the locker room is weak, he beats up weak people and is making TNA better by doing it. Both men continue the verbal shots until both men start brawling throughout the arena. Lashley ends up tossing EC3 down the ramp. Both men continue brawling throughout the arena and outside where the segment finally ends with Lashley tossing EC3 into a wooded area in the parking lot.
-- Eli Drake defeated Jessie Godderz, by pinfall, with Blunt Force Trauma, in the third round of the TNA Grand Championship tournament.
-- Delete or Decay closed out the show:
- Cody Rhodes Forced Name Change: Dave Meltzer recently reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that once Cody debuts with TNA he can't use the Rhodes name. It was discovered that Dusty Rhodes, real last name Runnels, owned the "Dusty Rhodes" name, trade mark, character, and merchandise. WWE however owns the "Cody Rhodes" name, trade mark, character and merchandise. Once Cody goes to work for a promotion that is TV broadcasted, he will have to drop the "Rhodes" name, due to WWE's ownership of the "Cody Rhodes" name. Sources are saying that Cody will be wrestling under his real birth given Cody Runnels name when he debuts.
- Ethan Carter Contract: Rumors are saying that Ethan Carter may have signed a new contract with TNA. EC3 is currently telling independent wrestling promotions that they now have to go through TNA offices to ok any independent wrestling shows. Many are thinking its due to EC3 signing a new contract and that clause being added.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
-- The Bullet Club cut a promo. Adam Cole doesn't care who challenges him next because he's the greatest ROH World Heavyweight Champion of all time. Jay Lethal interrupts and says things aren't done between them and he has friends to back him up too. Los Ingobernables de Japon arrive and stare down The Bullet Club.
-- Dalton Castle defeated Caprice Coleman, by pinfall, with the Bang A Rang. ANX and The Boys brawl throughout the match outside the ring.
-- The Addiction cut a promo. They are sick of Nigel McGuinness and ROH trying to bring them down. They introduce a ladder and state that they are the top rung on a ladder, all other teams are beneath them.
-- Donovan Dijak defeated Manny Lemons, by pinfall, with Feast Your Eyes.
-- Prince Nana cuts a promo. Nana makes it clear that whoever wins between Bobby Fish and Shibata will lose the ROH Television Championship to Donovan Dijak.
-- The Briscoe Brothers defeated Jay White and Lio Rush, by pinfall, with the Doomsday Device.
- Cody Rhodes Signing Soon: Wait a minute....didn't I just say Cody was signing with TNA? Well guess what? Cody has worked out an agreement with both TNA and ROH to where he can wrestle with both promotions. So Cody Rhodes will be signing with ROH in the up coming months as well. But just like in TNA, will probably be using Cody Runnels as his wrestling name.
"Business might just pick up even more in @ringofhonor…nice talk @StuBennett."
No word yet on if Bennett has officially signed a deal with ROH.
*** Lucha Underground ***
-- Dario Cueto is released from prison, with all charges dropped. Cueto talks to an unknown man with an iron hand in a limo. The unknown man says if Cueto wastes his time again, it'll mean death. Cueto says it's time to open the temple again.
-- Dario Cueto cuts a promo. Cueto introduces a new wheel called Dario’s Dial of Doom. Cueto will spin the wheel and whoever it lands on will face his brother, the Lucha Underground World Champion Mantanza. Cueto spins and it lands on Son of Havoc.
-- Mantanza defeated Son of Havoc, by pinfall, to retain the Lucha Underground World Championship, with the Wrath of Gods.
-- Johnny Mundo demands a Lucha Underground World Championship Match. Dario Cueto calls out Mundo on all his past failures and denies him an opportunity. Cueto announces Sexy Star vs. Taya Valkyrie for the Gift of the Gods Championship.
-- Ivelisse challenges Catrina to a match at Ultima Lucha Tres at the end of the season. Catrina accepts.
-- Dario Cueto announces Marty The Moth vs. Killshot in a Weapons Of Mass Destruction Match next week.
-- Rey Mysterio defeated Pentagon Dark, by pinfall, with the 619 and Canadian Destroyer. After the match, Pentagon plants Mysterio with a running crucifix power bomb. Pentagon goes for Sacrifice, but Dragon Azteca hits the ring to make the save.
-- Vampiro tries to give Prince Puma advice, but Puma thinks Vampiro is just trying to get him to do his bidding.
*** PRO WRESTLING GUERRILLA ***
- Every year Pro Wrestling Guerrilla presents it's annual Battle Of Los Angeles three night 24 Man tournament. Check out the recap of this year's show.
-- Marty Scurll defeated Pentagon Jr., by submission with the crossface chicken wing, to advance in the tournament.
-- John Hennigan defeated Matt Sydal, by pinfall, with Starship Pain, to advance in the tournament.
-- Will Ospreay defeated Fenix, by pinfall, with the OsCutter, to advance in the tournament.
-- Zack Sabre, Jr. defeated Tommy End, by submission, to advance in the tournament.
-- Adam Cole and The Young Bucks defeated Dalton Castle, Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, by pinfall, with double Meltzer Drivers, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
** Battle Of LA Night #2 **
-- Mark Andrews defeated Pete Dunne, by pinfall, with a Shooting Star Press, to advance in the tournament.
-- Cody Rhodes defeated Sami Callihan, by pinfall, after hitting Cross Rhodes, to advance in the tournament.
-- Trevor Lee defeated Kamaitachi, by pinfall, with a Small Package Driver, to advance in the tournament.
-- Kyle O’Reilly defeated Matt Riddle, by pinfall, after reversing a submission, to advance in the tournament.
-- Will Ospreay, Matt Sydal and Ricochet defeated Adam Cole and The Young Bucks, by pinfall, after Ricochet, Ospreay and Sydal hit triple Shooting Star Presses, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Fenix and Pentagon Jr. defeated Chris Hero and Tommy End, by pinfall, after a 450 Splash.
** Battle Of LA Night #3 **
-- Trevor Lee defeated Dalton Castle, by pinfall, with a small package, to advance in the tournament.
-- Ricochet defeated John Hennigan, by pinfall, with a 630 senton, to advance in the tournament.
-- Marty Scurll defeated Cody Rhodes, by pinfall, with a low blow and a rollup, to advance in the tournament.
-- Mark Andrews defeated Chris Hero, by pinfall, with a rollup, to advance in the tournament.
-- Mark Haskins defeated Kyle O’Reilly, by submission, with a sharpshooter, to advance in the tournament.
-- Will Ospreay defeated Zack Sabre, Jr. by pinfall, after reversing a pin into his own pinfall, to advance in the tournament.
-- Trevor Lee defeatd Mark Andrews, by pinfall, with a small package driver, to advance to the Finals.
-- Marty Scurll defeated Mark Haskins, by submission, with the crossface chickenwing, to advance to the Finals.
-- The Young Bucks defeated Fenix and Pentagon, Jr., by pinfall, after hitting 16 superkicks, to retain the PWG World Tag Team Championship.
-- Cedric Alexander, Chuck Taylor, Jeff Cobb, Jushin Liger and Tommy End defeated Brian Kendrick, Matt Riddle, Sami Callihan, Pete Dunne and Tommaso Ciampa, by pinfall, after Jushin Liger hit a brainbuster on Pete Dunne, in a Ten Man Tag Team Match.
-- Marty Scurll defeated Trevor Lee and Will Ospreay, in the Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles, to win the tournament.
*** W3C Wrestler Of The Week ***
This week's Wrestler Of The Week goes to the current NXT World Champion and Japanese legend Shinsuke Nakamura. Nakamura has made a huge impact and name for himself in New Japan Pro Wrestling winning many titles and awards. Nakamura was signed by NXT in early 2016 and has already claimed his first NXT World Championship.
- IWGP Heavyweight Champion (3 times)
- IWGP Heavyweight Champion (Inoki Genome Federation Version) (1 time)
- IWGP Intercontinental Champion (5 times)
- IWGP Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with Hiroshi Tanahashi
- IWGP U-30 Openweight Champion (1 time)
- NWF Heavyweight Champion (1 time)
- 10,000,000 Yin Tag Team Tournament Winner (2004) – with Hiroyoshi Tenzan
- G1 Climax Winner (2011)
- G1 Tag Team League Winner (2006) – with Masahiro Chono
- National District Tournament Winner (2006) – with Koji Kanemoto
- New Japan Cup Winner (2014)
- Teisen Hall Cup Six Man Tag Team Tournament Winner (2003) – with Hiro Saito and Tatsutoshi Goto
- Yuko Six Man Tag Team Tournament Winner (2004) – with Blue Wolf and Katsuhiko Nakajima
- Heavyweight Tag Team MVP Award Winner (2005) with Hiroshi Tanahashi
- New Wave Award Winner (2003)
- Tag Team Best Bout Winner (2004) with Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Masahiro Chono on October 24
- Technique Award Winner (2004)
- Top 20 Shinsuke Nakamura Moves:
- "NXT World Championship Match Highlights: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura:
- Shinsuke Nakamura vs. AJ Styles Highlights From Wrestle Kingdom 10:
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!