Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE ***
- John Cena Return: According to Dave Meltzer, John Cena will return in time for the next Smackdown Live pay per view WWE No Mercy on October 9th. Rumors stated that John Cena would again face AJ Styles, however, with Styles now the WWE World Heavyweight Champion it's unknown if those plans will stay the same.
- Emma Update: PWInsider is reporting that Emma was backstage this week at RAW. Emma has recently been doing photo shoots with the WWE and is rumored to be making her return soon. Emma has been out with a back injury since May.
- Kalisto Update: PWInsider reports that Kalisto is currently dealing with a back injury. It is unknown at this time how serious it is or how much time Kalisto will be out of action.
- Shelton Benjamin Update: It's been reported that Benjamin will be ready to return with the WWE in 6 months after recently having shoulder surgery. Benjamin was supposed to return on Smackdown Live last month, but the shoulder issue was spotted and his return was derailed.
- Paige Returning: PWInsider is reporting that former WWE Diva's Champion Paige will make her return to RAW next week. Paige is currently booked for an upcoming house show in Memphis, Tennessee and is scheduled for all RAW live events going forward. Paige's 30 day Wellness Policy violation ended on September 17th. It was unknown if Paige would return after her boyfriend, Alberto Del Rio left the company. Paige has also claimed that WWE backstage officials were trying to get her to end her relationship with Del Rio.
"First, I’d like to thank all my fans for their love and support the last few weeks. Let me begin by saying that the rumors that I’m leaving the WWE are completely false! I certainly look forward to returning back to action at some point, once my injury is treated and on a healthy return. Although I was disappointed by my suspension, I respect the WWE’s Wellness Policy. However, let me be clear that I was not suspended for failing a drug test, it was merely due to a procedural issue. I took the test, I passed it. I arranged said test to happen after I wasn’t at my home when aegis contacted me. So I drove 200 miles to do it. Unfortunately I didn’t do it in time, according to Aegis. Once again, thank you all for the love and support!"
- Future US Olympic In WWE: Two time NCAA Heavyweight Champion Nick Gwiazdowski was ringside last Sunday for WWE Backlash. WWE is rumored to be interested in Gwiazdowski, but probably won't make a move to sign the athlete until after the 2020 Olympics.
- The Shield Reunion?: Due to Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose now all working as baby faces, there has been talk of doing another reunion spot with The Shield at an upcoming shared roster pay per view, possibly Survivor Series or the Royal Rumble.
** Cruiserweight Classic Finals Recap **
-- Gran Metalik vs. Zack Sabre Jr.: The match closes out with Metalik straddling Sabre on the ropes and hitting a hurricanrana. Sabre counters a Metalik springboard and locks in a triangle choke submission. Metalik escapes and plants Sabre with the Metalik Driver and scores the pinfall, to advance to the Finals.
Winner: Gran Metalik, by pinfall.
-- Kota Ibushi vs. T.J. Perkins: The match closes out with Perkins countering the Gold Star Power Bomb by locking in a knee bar/chin lock combo submission and forces Ibushi to tap out, to advance to the Finals. Winner: T.J. Perkins, by submission.
-- Cedric Alexander and Noam Dar vs. Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano: The match closes out with some confusion, as Alexander hits a brain buster and scores what looked like a three count from the referee. The match continued and Ciampa and Gargano win by pinfall with their double team finisher.
Winners: Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano, by pinfall.
-- Triple H introduces the inaugural WWE Cruiserweight Championship that the final two will compete for.
Winner: T.J. Perkins, by submission, to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship and the Cruiserweight Classic Tournament.
*** NXT ***
- Andrade "Cien" Almas Leaving NXT?: In a recent interview with Mas Lucha, former WWE superstar Alberto Del Rio revealed that Andrade "Cien" Almas wants to leave NXT and go back to Mexico. Del Rio stated that Almas wants to leave due to having problems learning the WWE style of wrestling as well as the English language. Del Rio stated the following:
"I talked to my good friend Manny (Andrade) and poor guy, he wants to come back. Unfortunately, when you go into that company you have to abide by their rules. That's just how it is. It's the nature of our business."
There has been no official word from Almas on whether or not he really is unhappy in the WWE right now.
*** TNA ***
-- Broken Matt Hardy baptizes "Brother Nero" Jeff Hardy in the lake so the 7 Deities can heal Jeff's wounds from last week. Jeff is healed and Matt goes in search of Vanguard One next.
- TNA World Heavyweight Champion Bobby Lashley cuts a promo. Grado interrupts and challenges Lashley. Lashley hits an elbow and spears Grado in half. Moose arrives and goes face to face with Lashley. Moose ducks a punch and clotheslines Lashley, chasing him from the ring.
-- Aron Rex defeated Trevor Lee, by pinfall, in Round #2 of their TNA Grand Championship Tournament Match. Rex countered a fisherman's buster and hit a roaring elbow on Lee for the win.
-- Broken Matt Hardy finds Vanguard One in a tree stuck. Matt asks the 7 Deities to restore Vanguard One. Vanguard One awakens and starts to fly.
-- Braxton Sutter defeated Rockstar Spud, by pinfall, in a Exposed Metal Empty Arena Match. Sutter tosses Spud into the exposed turn buckle steel and then drops Spud face first on the exposed steel turn buckle for the win.
-- Vanguard One finds Señor Benjamin tied up in a barn. Broken Matt Hardy tells Benjamin to go rest, but also prepare the biggest amount of weapons possible, because they will go to war at Bound For Glory.
-- The Broken Hardy's cut a promo. Matt says they will delete The Decay for trying to kidnap King Max. Rosemary appears in the rafters and says King Max needs to be with a family that will allow him to embrace his inner Decay. Abyss and Crazy Steve appear and Matt challenges them to a great war at Bound For Glory. Rosemary says they will save King Max from his unfit mother. Reby Sky spears Rosemary and both teams brawl to end the segment.
-- Gail Kim wins a Gauntlet Match to become #1 Contender to the TNA Knockouts Championship. The match came down to Sienna and Gail. Gail counters The Silencer and hits Eat Defeat on Sienna for the win.
-- Eddie Edwards defeated Mahabali Shera, by submission, in Round #3 of their TNA Grand Championship Tournament Match. Edwards forced Shera to tap out to the single leg crab.
- TNA For Sale: The New York Post posted an article on how TNA President Billy Corgan is trying to become the majority owner of TNA. It was also mentioned that WWE and the Sinclair Group (Owners of ROH) are also interested in the company. Rumors are that TNA is going for $40 million.
- Madison Rayne Joins Creative Team: TNA President Billy Corgan announced via Facebook video that former TNA Knockouts Champion Madison Rayne is now apart of the TNA creative team. Rayne took over Christy Hemme’s role of overseeing the creative direction of the Knockout’s Division in TNA when she left the company earlier this year.
- Rebel Finished: According to PWInsider, TNA Knockout Rebel is finished with the company as her contract recently expired.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
-- Adam Cole, Hangman Adam Page and Takahashi of The Bullet Club battled Jay Lethal, Tetsuya Naito and EVIL in a Six Man Tag Team Match. Naito and EVIL, however, ditch Lethal and leave him get a three on one beat down in the match. Michael Elgin and Kyle O'Reilly show up and take over as Lethal's partners.
-- Jay Lethal, Michael Elgin and Kyle O'Reilly defeated Adam Cole, Hangman Adam Page and Takahashi, by pinfall, in a Six Man Tag Team Match. Lethal hits the Lethal Injection on Takahashi for the win.
-- The Addiction cut a promo. They're not afraid of the Young Bucks or the Motor City Machine Guns. They guarantee they'll still be the ROH World Tag Team Champions when it's all said and done.
-- Jay Lethal cuts a promo. Lethal is mad because Tetsuya Naito was his friend and he turned his back on Lethal. Nigel McGuinness announces Lethal vs. Naito at ROH's next ppv. McGuinness reminds Lethal that the last time he begged for a match he lost.
-- Bobby Fish defeated Katsuyori Shibata, by pinfall, to retain the ROH Television Championship. Shibata locks Fish in a Triangle Choke submission. Fish powers out and pushes himself on top of Shibata to score the pinfall, while still trapped in the Triangle Choke.
-- Donovan Dijak looks on as Fish and Shibata go nose to nose and Shibata demands another title shot.
- Adam Cole Contract: It was reported that current ROH World Champion Adam Cole's contract was set to expire in December. ROH, however, worked out a deal with Cole that states that since he was injured for four months, Cole's contract won't expire until April of 2017.
*** Lucha Underground ***
-- Cortez Castro wants justice for what happened to Mr. Cisco. Captain Vasquez says that the war is more important than getting justice for Mr. Cisco.
-- Dr. Wagner defeated Mascarita Sagrada, by pinfall, with the Wagner Driver.
-- Captain Vasquez is holding half of a medallion. Vasquez gets mad about video tapes being leaked. Vasquez says that Dario Cueto will help them gain the advantage in the war. Vasquez decides to suspend Cortez Castro.
-- Mil Muertes defeated Argenis, by pinfall, with the Flatliner. After the match, Catrina delivers the Lick Of Death to Argenis. Prince Puma hits the ring and nails Muertes with a springboard elbow, a boot, a missile drop kick and a wrecking ball drop kick, chasing Muertes from the ring.
-- Joey Ryan tells Dario Cueto that he knows he murdered Mr. Cisco and he's the reason Cueto isn't in prison. Ryan reveals to Cueto that Cortez Castro is his partner.
-- Cortez Castro informs Captain Vasquez that he’s on her side. Vasquez orders Castro to go to the temple.
-- Killshot defeated Marty The Moth, by pinfall, in a Weapons Of Mass Destruction Match. The match basically consisted of an anything goes with weapons match. Ladders, tables, chairs, tool boxes, steel steps and guardrails were just some of the weapons that came into play. Killshot repeatedly kicked Marty in the face and then double foot stomped Marty through a table for the win.
-- Mil Muertes wants to fight Prince Puma. Catrina says that patience is a virtue. Catrina reveals that she has the other half of Captain Vasquez's medallion.
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
Road to Destruction took place live this week in Korakuen Hall, in Tokyo, Japan.
-- David Finlay defeated Henare, by pinfall, with a stunner.
-- Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens defeated Yoshitatsu and Captain New Japan, by pinfall, after Yujiro hit the Pimp Juice DDT on CNJ. After the match, Yoshitatsu shows anger at losing consistently when teaming with CNJ.
-- Jushin Thunder Liger, Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Ryusuke Taguchi defeated Will Ospreay, Rocky Romero, Gedo and Baretta, by submission, in an Eight Man Tag Team Match, when Romero tapped out to a Taguchi ankle lock.
-- Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma defeated Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi, by pinfall, after Makabe hit the King Kong knee drop on Nakanishi.
-- EVIL defeated Juice Robinson, by pinfall, with the STO.
-- ReDragon defeated Tiger Mask and Katsuyori Shibata, by pinfall, with Chasing The Dragon.
-- Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI defeated The Bullet Club (Guerillas of Destiny, Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale), by pinfall, in an Eight Man Tag Team Match, after Ishii hit a brain buster on Tanga Loa.
-- BUSHI, Tetsuya Naito and SANADA defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and KUSHIDA, by pinfall, in a Six Man Tag Team Match, after BUSHI hit a top rope Code Breaker on KUSHIDA. After the match, BUSHI choked out KUSHIDA and Elgin was beaten down an given a leg injury.
NJPW Destruction In Tokyo is the first of three Destruction cards from now until the end of September. The event was live at Tokyo’s Ota-Ward Synthesis Gymnasium.
-- Rocky Romero and Barreta defeated David Finlay and Henare, by pinfall, with the Dude Buster.
-- Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi defeated Yoshitatsu and Captain New Japan, by pinfall, with an Exploder.
-- Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma and Tiger Mask defeated Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima and Jushin Thunder Liger, by pinfall, with a Kokeshi off the top rope, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii and Gedo defeated The Bullet Club (Tama Tonga, Tanga Roa and Chase Owens), by pinfall, with a Brain Buster, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Kyle O’Reilly defeated Juice Robinson, by submission, with an arm bar submission.
-- Kazuchika Okada, YOSHI-HASHI and Will Ospreay defeated The Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi), by pinfall, with the HASHI Driver, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Tetsuya Naito, SANADA and EVIL defeated Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Ryusuke Taguchi, by submission, with a Dragon Sleeper submission, in a Six Man Tag Team Match.
-- Katsuyori Shibata defeated Bobby Fish, by pinfall, with the PK, to retain the NEVER Openweight Championship
-- BUSHI defeated KUSHIDA, by pinfall, with the MX off the top rope, to win the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
*** W3C Wrestler Of The Week ***
- WWE World Heavyweight Champion (1 time)
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion (3 times)
- NWA World Tag Team Champion (4 times) – with Jerry Lynn (1), Abyss (1), and Christopher Daniels (2)
- TNA World Heavyweight Champion (2 times)
- TNA Legends/Global/Television Champion (2 times)
- TNA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – with Tomko (1) and Kurt Angle (1)
- TNA X Division Champion (6 times)
- TNA Bound For Glory Series Winner (2013)
- TNA Gauntlet for the Gold Winner (2007 – Tag Team) – with Tomko
- ROH Pure Champion (1 time)
- ROH World Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with Amazing Red
- ROH Pure Wrestling Championship Tournament Winner (2004)
- IWGP Heavyweight Champion (2 times)
Styles has also won many independent wrestling championships and has led two well known factions in the wrestling business. Fortune in TNA and The Bullet Club in NJPW. Styles was also the first ever TNA X Division Champion.
- AJ Styles Wins First Ever NWA World Heavyweight Championship:
- AJ Styles Wins First Ever WWE World Heavyweight Championship:
- Best Of AJ Styles:
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!