Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE ***
- Paige Suspended: WWE announced this past Wednesday that Paige (Saraya-Jade Bevis) has been suspended for 30 days for violating the WWE Talent Wellness Policy. Many find it a coincidence that both Paige and Alberto Del Rio were suspended for the same reasons considering they have been dating the past couple months.
- Eva Marie Suspended: WWE announced this past Thursday that Eva Marie (Natalie Coyle) has been suspended for 30 days for violation of the company’s talent wellness policy.
- Eva Marie's Husband Speaks Out: After the suspension of Eva Marie was announced, Eva's husband Jonathan Coyle made a comment on Twitter that stated that once the wrestling world finds out why Eva was suspended we'd all be outraged. Coyle quickly deleted the comment, possibly realizing he could be jeopardizing Eva's career if he went public with anything negative against the WWE.
- How RAW Almost Didn't Happen: Last Monday, RAW took place at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. Due to horrible weather the arena lost power for most of the afternoon and there was fear that the lights weren't coming back on anytime soon. The lights did return by mid-afternoon and RAW was scheduled to continue as planned. Backstage interviewer Tom Phillips said that during the power outage the WWE makeup team were working on the Superstars by candlelight.
- Vince McMahon Sells Stock: WWE CEO Vince McMahon sold 1.547 million shares of WWE stock for purposes of estate planning this past Wednesday. The sale price was not revealed, however, WWE stock closed at $20.97. If you were to use that price, the sale would net McMahon over $32.44 million.
- Dean Ambrose Catching Backstage Heat: According to Dave Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE World Heavyweight Champion Dean Ambrose may be catching some backstage heat from his recent appearance on the Steve Austin Show. The heat is being said to stem from his negativity toward creative, and being negative on creative means being negative on Triple H and Vince McMahon. WWE Officials also were not happy about Ambrose publicly talking about how Brock Lesnar didn't want to do anything for their match at WrestleMania 32.
- Nikki Bella Cleared To Wrestle: Nikki Bella announced on Instagram this week that her doctor has marked her neck surgery as a success and has officially cleared Nikki to be able to wrestle again.
- CM Punk Comments On The Conor McGregor Incident: The past few weeks UFC's Conor McGregor has been making negative comments toward the wrestling business, WWE in general. McGregor has been calling WWE and it's wrestlers a joke that he could defeat easily in a real life fight. McGregor's comments lit a fire under the wrestling world, as guys like Ric Flair, Kurt Angle and Roman Reigns quickly defended their business. Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk was reached to give his comments on the whole situation and Punk stated that he thinks McGregor's comments were all a work. Punk stated that Conor was just being Conor and seeing how much of a scene he could make out of the situation. Punk stated the following:
"I think the thing that shocked me the most about what Conor said was the number of people who work there who responded to him who should know better. I don’t feel they got worked, they got worked. Ric Flair, c’mon. Just stop. Just knock it off."
- Brock Lesnar Finally Comments On Conor McGregor: Brock Lesnar finally gave his opinion on Conor McGregor's comments towards him two weeks ago. Lesnar stated the following:
I take s**ts bigger than that kid, alright? I know you guys all play f**king video games and you live in this false sense of reality and s**t. I'm two hundred and f**king ninety pounds, alright? This guy's a hundred and forty five pounds if he's lucky and gets up and eats his f**king Wheaties, ok? If Conor McGregor wants to say some s**t to me, and get his name out there more than he already has by dropping my name, I got f**king about ten words for him. Come here, face to face Conor, and say it to my face. Otherwise leave me and the f**king WWE out of it, because I came to your arena and kicked ass. Now, if you want, and if you're so f**king tough, come to our arena and try and kick some ass. Now, get the f**k out of here!"
- Kota Ibushi News: Kota Ibushi announced to the Japanese media that he has turned down a full time deal offered by WWE. Ibushi stated that he may continue wrestling for WWE, but that his dream is to become the most famous wrestler in the world. Ibushi confirmed that he will continue wrestling in Japan.
-- Akira Tozawa defeated Jack Gallagher, by pinfall, with a deadlift german suplex.
-- Noam Dar defeated HoHo Lun, by submission, with a kneebar submission.
-- Brian Kendrick defeated Tony Nese, by submission, with the Bully Choke submission.
*** WWE Summer Slam Card ***
- "WWE Universal Championship Match": Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor
- "WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match": Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler
- "WWE Intercontinental Championship Match": The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews
- "WWE United States Championship Match": Rusev (c) vs. Roman Reigns
- "WWE World Tag Team Championship Match": The New Day (c) vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
- "WWE Women's Championship Match": Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte
- Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton
- John Cena vs. AJ Styles
- Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens vs. Enzo and Big Cass
- "Best of Seven Series, Match #1": Sheamus vs. Cesaro
- "Six Women Tag Team Match": Becky Lynch, Carmella and Naomi vs. Nattie Neidhart, Alexa Bliss and Eva Marie
- The Dudley Boys vs. Neville and Sami Zayn
- "12 Man Tag Team Match": The Ascension, The Vaudevillains, Tyler Breeze and Fandango vs. The Usos, American Alpha and The Hype Bros
- Summer Slam Recap: If you can't catch tonight's WWE pay per view, be sure to check out my recap Monday afternoon.
*** NXT ***
- Samoa Joe Interview: This week Forbes did an interview with NXT World Champion Samoa Joe. Joe was asked about Conor McGregor's recent comments on wrestling. Joe said until the day comes when Conor is under a WWE contract he doesn't care what Conor is saying. Joe also stated that he wants Brock Lesnar to defeat Randy Orton because Joe would love to get a shot at Lesnar at Wrestlemania 33.
- NXT Tour: WWE officially announced that for the first time ever NXT will tour Australia and New Zealand. No dates or locations have been announced yet, but it's official and it will be a first for NXT.
- NXT Release: WWE NXT announced that they have released King Konstantine (Radomir Petkovic) from his deal today. The 29 year old former amateur wrestler from Serbia was signed back in April of 2015 but never made it to TV.
- NXT Takeover: Brooklyn 2 Recap: If you missed the NXT pay per view this past Saturday, be sure to check out my full recap of the show later today.
*** TNA ***
- TNA Impact Recap:
-- Bobby Lashley goes nose to nose with Aron Rex backstage.
-- Moose defeated Eddie Edwards, by pinfall, with his Go To Hell finisher off the top rope.
-- Maria Bennett tells Jade that if she doesn't beat Gail Kim tonight than she'll never get another chance at the TNA Knockouts Championship. Jade wants to attack Maria, but Maria tells her to save it for Gail Kim.
-- Gail Kim defeated Jade, by DQ. Gail hits Eat Defeat on Jade, but Sienna attacks Gail causing the DQ. Sienna lays out Gail with the AK-47 and then lays out Jade with The Silencer. Maria Bennett calls Jade a failure and will never get another title shot.
-- DJ Zema Ion defeated Rockstar Spud, Mandrews and Braxton Sutter, in a fatal four way match. DJZ drops Mandrews with a DDT to score the pinfall.
-- Drew Galloway and Ethan Carter meet face to face and accept the challenge to wrestle a match against each other. Aron Rex interrupts and says this is what everybody wants to see and just to make sure there is a clear cut winner, Rex got TNA Management to make him special guest referee.
-- Eli Drake defeated Mahabali Shera, by pinfall, with the Blunt Force Trauma.
-- The Hardy Boys defeated The Tribunal, The Helms Dynasty and The BroMans in a Fatal Four Way Tag Team Ladder Match, to become #1 Contenders to the TNA World Tag Team Championship. Broken Matt Hardy lands a Side Effect on Trevor Lee onto a ladder. Everett climbs the ladder, but gets missile drop kicked off by Brother Nero. Broken Matt climbs the ladder and grabs the contract for the win.
- Drew Galloway Interview: Former WWE creative writer Kevin Eck of Press Box Online recently interviewed former TNA World Heavyweight Champion Drew Galloway. Galloway talked about his favorite TNA match being against Kurt Angle in his home country of England in Manchester. Galloway also stated that he wouldn't rule out a return to the WWE one day, but he is extremely happy where he is in TNA right now.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
- ROH TV Recap:
-- Lio Rush defeated Donovan Dijak, by pinfall, with a reversal into a crucifix roll up.
-- Donovan Dijak attacks and beats down Lio Rush. Jay White makes the save for Rush. Kamaitachi hits the ring and joins Dijak in beating down White. ROH Security finally separate everyone.
-- The Cabinet try to take Dalton Castle's Boys for training, but Castle refuses.
-- Keith Lee and Shane Taylor are shown backstage beating down War Machine with steel chairs.
-- Hangman Adam Page insults and calls out Jay Briscoe. Briscoe hits the ring and brawls with Page as ROH Security try to restore order.
-- Nigel McGuinness announces The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice tonight to decide a new #1 contender to The Addiction and the ROH World Tag Team Championship.
-- The Young Bucks defeated Roppongi Vice, by pinfall, to become the #1 contenders to the ROH World Tag Team Championship. Beretta hits a running knee on Matt Jackson and covers. Matt counters the pin into his own pin for the win.
-- The Addiction attack and beat down The Young Bucks.
-- Jay Lethal and Adam Cole sign their contract, making their ROH World Championship Match official at Death Before Dishonor. Cole taunts Lethal through the whole segment until Lethal and Cole begin brawling. Lethal landed a low blow on Cole and then tried to cut Cole's hair. The Young Bucks saved Cole and pulled him to safety.
*** Death Before Dishonor 14 Recap ***
-- Katsuyori Shibata defeated Silas Young, by pinfall. Shibata nails Young with the PK Kick and scores the pinfall. Young shows respect to Shibata after the match.
-- Chaos defeated The Bullet Club, by pinfall, in a Six Man Tag Team Match. Yano lands a low blow on Takahasi and then rolls him up for the pinfall. After the match, The Bullet Club attack Yano and drop him with Gorilla Warfare. Adam Page joins in and beats down Chaos. Jay Briscoe hits the ring and goes after Page, who rolls outside to escape.
-- "Hangman" Adam Page defeated Jay Briscoe, by pinfall, in an Anything Goes Match. Page hits Rite Of Passage on Briscoe through a table for a near fall. Page chokes Briscoe with his bull rope and hits another Rite Of Passage for the pinfall.
-- Kazuchika Okada defeated Dalton Castle, by pinfall. Okada counters the Bang A Rang and connects with a drop kick. Okada plants Castle with the Rainmaker to score the pinfall.
-- The Addiction defeated Testuya Naito and EVIL and Hiroshi Tanahashi and Michael Elgin in a Triple Threat Match, to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championship. Tanahashi hits the Sling Blade and the High Fly Flow on EVIL. Tanahashi goes for the pin, but Daniels tags himself in, hits the jack knife power bomb and scores the pinfall.
- ROH Pledge: This past Monday, Ring Of Honor wrestling announced that they have made a pledge with Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) and New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). All three promotions will bring their superior blend of styles and athletes found nowhere else in the wrestling world and work together in promoting each others promotions.
- Jay Lethal On The Ross Report With J.R.: This past week ROH World Heavyweight Champion Jay Lethal was on Jim Ross' The Ross Report Podcast. Lethal talked about wanting to work for WWE one day under the right circumstances, wanting to wrestle Chris Jericho at a Wrestlemania, his work in TNA and who he would pick for his personal Mount Rushmore of professional wrestling.
- Season 3 Poster: Lucha Underground have posted the following poster for season three. Season three will debut on September 7th.
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
- J-Cup Tournament: In next Sunday's Weekend 3 Count edition I'll be bringing you the recap of this weekends NJPW J-Cup Tournament. The tournament took place live in Japan at 2:00am Sunday morning in the United States.
*** GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING ***
“Give all of the credit to the folks at the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl. They approached Global Force with the idea of giving the players something different than any other bowl game, and I think it’s a perfect fit. Males 18 to 24 are a huge part of our demographic, and we’ll be as hyped to put on a great show as they will be to see one. There are a lot of ties between football and wrestling. So many great football players at the collegiate level have come into the ring and been successful when they put the cleats away. Who knows, we might have a future wrestling superstar in the crowd that night.”
*** W3C Wrestler Of The Week ***
- WWE Hardcore Champion (1 time)
- WWE European Champion (1 time)
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion (1 time)
- WWE United States Champion (1 time)
- WWE World Tag Team Champion (6 times) - with Jeff Hardy
- WWE Smackdown World Tag Team Champion (1 time) - with MVP
- WCW World Tag Team Champion (1 time) - with Jeff Hardy
- ECW World Heavyweight Champion (1 time)
- WWE Bragging Rights Trophy Winner (2009) – with Team Smackdown (Chris Jericho, R-Truth, Kane, Finlay, David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd)
- Terri Invitational Tournament Winner - with Jeff Hardy
- TNA World Heavyweight Champion (2 times)
- TNA World Tag Team Champion (1 time) - with Jeff Hardy
- TNA World Tag Team Championship #1 Contenders Tournament Winner (2014) - with Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy has also won many independent wrestling championships and along with Jeff Hardy is the founding father of OMEGA Championship Wrestling based in North Carolina.
- "Steel Cage Match": Edge vs. Matt Hardy:
- Matt Hardy Wins His First TNA World Heavyweight Championship:
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!