Monday, August 15, 2016

Krunch Time With Katelin: Browns v. Packers Preseason Thoughts


By Katelin Marshall, @KatelinKnowsCLE


This article is going to be an informal one, while I just list off a bunch of thoughts I had after watching the Browns' first preseason game under new Head Coach Hue Jackson.

My First thought is, oh my god... Barkevious Mingo is terrible. He was on the field for 1/3 of the defensive snaps and he didn't have a single tackle. He also got juked out by an undrafted Free Agent QB while trying for a sack. I'm extremely glad the Browns: A. Didn't pick up his option for next year. B. Drafted three different pass rushers who will likely take his place.


Another down is Cam Erving. Now I don't know what his pass protection responsibilities are and frankly I don't give a damn. He had a rough time protecting Robert Griffin III. And looking back on the throw to Terrelle Pryor, if Cam helps out right guard John Greco... Griffin might be able to hit Pryor in stride for a Touchdown.

But Speaking about Terrelle Pryor...my goodness he looks like a NFL Wide Receiver. Catching a few balls thrown from RG3. He worked back to the ball extremely well, and on the 50 yard catch he demonstrated he has strong hands to be able to make a diving catch.



Another Positive are the rookies. Besides Joe Schobert and Cody Kessler, I didn't see any major mistakes. Carl Nassib, Emmanual Ogbuh, Scooby Wright, and Tracy Howard all played really well. Nassib and Ogbuh did a good job rushing the QB and running after guys down field. Wright seems to have a nose for the football. He was in just about every play he was on the field for. And Howard did a good job in coverage.

Austin Davis was a down. Yes I understand he is got hurt and is our third string QB but if the Browns are looking to trade Josh McCown we need a solid backup. I hope Kessler won't have to play this year which is why Davis looking good was an underrated thing to watch out for. He didn't play well which is why its a down.

Another up was Alvin Bailey. He played right guard with the second and third team. He did really well. He was the sweep blocker when Raheem Mostert broke a nice 15+ yard run. Also Bailey is a veteran even at 24 years old. He was a starter on the Seattle when they went to back-to-back Super Bowls. He is battling for the starting right tackle position/backup guard.

My last thought was on RG3 and I'm still not sure how I feel about him. He looked very well in the pocket, and he was ok after taking a few hits. The interception wasn't his fault in my opinion. Gary Barnidge should have ran a post route splitting the the two safeties instead of running the streak. RG3 had the one bad throw to Taylor Gabriel which wasn't a catchable ball anyways but still. RG3 was good in his first game with the Browns but I'd still want to see him play more especially with guys like Josh Gordon, Andrew Hawkins, and Corey Coleman so I can give a honest assessment of Robert Griffin III.

No comments:

Post a Comment