Monday, June 16, 2014
Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, 6.16.14: TNA Slammiversary
Wrestling Lockup with Brandon returns on this special Monday afternoon edition. I am back from my week hiatus and will be returning to my normal routine of bringing you WWE and TNA recaps for the week. Today's recap is all about TNA. Incase you missed it, TNA held their twelfth annual Slammiversary event last night. The Slammiversary event has always served as TNA's anniversary show of the company's existence, which began June 19th, 2002. This year's event took place live at the College Park Center in Arlington, Texas.
MVP suffered an injury and was unable to compete at Slammiversary. Due to this, his match against Eric Young for the TNA World Title in the main event was changed. The winners of Samoa Joe vs Bobby Lashley and Austin Aries vs Kenny King would be placed in a Triple Threat Steel Cage Match with Eric Young for the TNA World Title.
- The show kicked off with Kenny King complaining to MVP with Bobby Lashley looking on. King promises he's leaving tonight TNA World Champion. MVP promises not to get involved in any of the matches tonight involving King and Lashley a little later in the show.
- "Ladder Match, X-Division Title:" Sanada (c) vs. Manik vs. Crazy Steve vs. Tigre Uno vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Davey Richards. Match Highlights: Manik, Uno and The Wolves all go airbourne over the ropes early in the match. Sanada hits a moonsault on Crazy Steve on a ladder. The Wolves put Uno through a ladder. The Wolves, exchanged punches with each other on top of the ladder. Manik hits a sunset flip power bomb on Richards through a ladder. Match closes with Sanada climbing the ladder, grabbing the X-Division Title and retaining the gold.
- Bobby Lashley vs Samoa Joe. Match closes with Joe going for the "Muscle Buster". Lashley escapes and Joe almost takes out the referee. Joe actually stops to check on the referee and eats a spear by Lashley giving Lashley the pinfall. Lashley advances to the TNA World Title Match later.
- Jeff "Willow" Hardy w/Abyss vs Magnus w/Bram. Match closes with everyone getting involved. Abyss and Bram fight in the ring. Hardy hits "Twist of Fate" on Magnus but he kicks out at two. Bram has a metal bar, Abyss grabs "Janice". Abyss stalks Bram to the backstage area, with "Janice" in hand. Magnus hits a belly to belly on Hardy for the pinfall.
- Kurt Angle is inside the ring and announces that Bully Ray and Devon, Team 3D, are the newest inductees into the TNA Hall of Fame. Bully and Devon give thank you speeches.
- Kenny King vs Austin Aries. Match closes with King and Aries battling towards the corner of the ring. King gets Aries set up on his shoulders while sitting on the top turnbuckle. Aries escapes and hits a brainbuster superplex off the top-rope for the pinfall. Aries advances to the TNA World Title Match later.
- Marshall and Ross Von Erich vs. Jessie Godderz & Zema Ion. Match closes with Marshall hitting a standing moonsault on Jessie. Ion grabs a chair and hits Marshall with it, giving the Von Erich's the DQ win. The legendary Kevin Von Erich hits the ring and applies "The Claw" to the delight of the Von Erich's native Texas crowd.
- "TNA Knockouts Title:" Angelina Love (c) vs. Gail Kim. Referee shenanigans in this match as Referee Stiffler appeared to miss Love and Velvet Sky cheating. Referee Hebner arrives and ejected Sky then appeared to take over Referee Stiffler's duties. Match closes out with Kim accidentally knocking out Referee Hebner with a dropkick. Kim hits "Eat Defeat" on Love but Referee Stiffler refuses to count with Referee Hebner still knocked out. Kim rolls Love up for another pin but again no count from Stiffler. Love reverses the rollup into a pin of her own and Stiffler makes the three count helping Angelina Love retain the TNA Knockouts Title.
- "Texas Death Match": Bully Ray vs Ethan Carter III. Match Highlights: Hardcore at its finest. Tables, ladders, a bullrope with a cow bell, chains, kendo sticks, cheese grater, glass and chairs. Bully attacks ECIII with the bullrope and cow bell. ECIII gets solid steel chair shots in. Bully goes "ECW" on ECIII as he brings out the cheese grater and grates some Carter skin. Bully pulls out a box cutter and cuts up the ring, exposing the wood base of the mat underneath. Rockstar Spud gets involved with a kendo stick shot to Bully's back that causes no damage. Shards of glass are laid out in the middle of the ring and Bully "3D's" ECIII right on them. The match closes out with Bully laying ECIII on a table. Dixie Carter runs out and distracts Bully. ECIII accidentally takes out his aunt then gets taken out by Bully. Bully lays Dixie across multiple tables and climbs the ropes. ECIII regains himself and blasts Bully with a kendo stick. Spud grabs Dixie out of the way as Bully falls and crashes through the tables. Bully can't answer the ten count as ECIII gets the W.
- Mr. Anderson vs James Storm. The match closes out with James Storm getting into it with the Dallas Cowboys football team in the front row. TNA officials storm the scene to separate the madness. Storm gets a "Mic Check" from Mr. Anderson during the chaos which allows Anderson to score the pin.
- "Triple Threat Steel Cage Match, TNA World Title:" Eric Young (c) vs. Bobby Lashley vs Austin Aries. Match Highlights: Aries hit a hurricanrana off the top rope on Lashley. EY hit a giant splash off the top of the cage on Lashley. Lashley goes for a spear on EY, EY dodges and Lashley goes right through the steel cage wall and lands on the floor. The match closes out with Aries hitting a full speed drop kick on EY in the corner. Aries goes for the brainbuster, however, EY reverses into a piledriver and scores the pinfall to retain the TNA World Title.
And that wrapped up the 12th annual TNA Slammiversary event. I will be back Friday afternoon with more TNA action, recapping the fallout of the pay per view on TNA Impact. Until then my friends, tap or snap!