Monday, June 30, 2014
Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, 6.30.14: WWE Money In The Bank
Cue the Donald Trump theme music..."Money, Money, Money Money......Mooonnnneeeyyy!"
It's a special pay per view Monday edition of Wrestling Lockup with Brandon. Last night, live from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts the WWE held Money In The Bank. A new WWE World Heavyweight Champion was crowned along with a current Money in the Bank briefcase case holder.
- The Money In The Bank preshow was on first with Daniel Bryan, who's still on the shelf with his neck injury. Bryan says that he is not sure when he'll be back, as he might need to have more surgery done. Bo Dallas interrupts Bryan and gives him his inspirational "Bo-Lieve" shtick. Bryan calls Dallas a "Bo-ner" which starts a chant from the crowd. Bryan's music plays and he exits to the "Yes-Movement" chants.
The "special event" begins as we have the tag titles on the line to kick off this year's Money in the Bank!
- "WWE World Tag Team Championship": The Usos (c) vs The Wyatt Family. The Wyatt's get a near fall on a seated power bomb. Match closes out with The Usos delivering a double superplex off the top rope on Rowan, then connect with a double splash for the pinfall. The Usos retain their tag team titles.
- "WWE Divas Championship": Paige (c) vs Naomi (w/Cameron). Naomi comes close to a near fall as she hit the "Rearview". Naomi comes up short in the end as Paige hits her finisher for the pinfall and retains her Divas Championship.
- Adam Rose vs Damian Sandow. Sandow is dressed as Paul Revere, basically mocking the Boston fans.
No one told Paul Revere that the "Party Foul" was coming as Rose hits it in the end for the pinfall. Rose is still undefeated.
- "Traditional Money in the Bank Match": Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Jack Swagger vs. Kofi Kingston.
- Match Highlights: Kofi connects with a dive over the ropes bowling over all the other superstars on the floor. Major spots from all of the superstars in the match. The giant size ladder makes an appearance as RVD and Rollins fight atop it. Swagger climbs up and power bombs RVD off the ladder. Ambrose gets his hands on Rollins on top of the giant sized ladder and super plexes Rollins off of it. Later in the match Rollins and Ambrose take another bump off the ladder, Ambrose holding his shoulder this time. WWE medics force Ambrose out of the match due to the injury and escort him to the back stage area. Another huge spot takes place as we have a ladder set up like a bridge across another ladder. Kofi puts Rollins through the bridged ladder as both men fought on top of it. Swagger with a "Patriot Lock" on Ziggler while he climbed the ladder. Rollins climbs the ladder as Ambrose runs back out and blasts Rollins with a chair. Ambrose all alone, climbs the ladder to the briefcase and is about to win it when.......Kane's pyro explodes and out comes Kane. Kane choke slammed then tombstoned Ambrose as Rollins climbed the ladder and grabbed the briefcase winning Money In The Bank.
- Goldust and Stardust vs Curtis Axel and Ryback. Match closes with Stardust getting the hot tag and getting the pinfall on Ryback. Axel has a fit after the match but gets laid out by the Rhodes Brothers.
- Layla and Summer Rae are backstage arguing over Fandango again.
- Rusev vs Big E. Big E gets near falls a few times on Rusev in this match. Match closes out with Rusev connecting with a kick and locking in "The Accolade". Big E almost fights out of it but eventually taps out.
- Stephanie McMahon finds Daniel Bryan's wife, Brie Bella, backstage. Brie mentions she loved when Vickie Guerrero threw Steph in the mud on RAW. Steph calls for security to escort Brie out of the building because she no longer is a WWE employee.
- Summer Rae vs Layla (Guest Referee: Fandango). Match closes with Layla scoring the pinfall from Fandango. Layla and Fandango make out as Summer lays in the ring. Fandango and Layla leave together.
- "Money In The Bank, WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match":
- John Cena vs. Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton vs. Cesaro vs. Kane vs. Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio.
Match Highlights: Triple H and Stephanie McMahon are present for the match. Sheamus and Cesaro hang from the loop holding the titles at one point in the match without a ladder under them. Sheamus and Cesaro trade punches in mid air until Sheamus falls to the mat. Cesaro eventually falls as well. Orton gets busted open in the match as WWE medical work on him. A ladder is bridged from the ring to the announcers table, where we see Sheamus fall onto the bridged ladder. Orton grabs the giant sized ladder and everyone takes turns climbing it only to get pushed off. Sheamus comes close to grabbing the titles but Kane stops him. Orton and Kane are alone at one point until Reigns spears Kane but then Reigns catches a ladder shot by Orton. Cena and Reigns are alone at one point and we see a trading of punches. Cena goes for "AA" but Reigns counters with a spear. Reigns and Orton end up climbing the ladder and trade punches. Reigns and Orton take turns slamming each other's faces into the ladder, Orton is busted open. Reigns knocks Orton off the ladder, Kane knocks Reigns off. Cena hits "AA" on Orton and Kane both, climbs the ladder and grabs the titles. John Cena is the NEW World Heavyweight Champion!
John Cena is now a 15 time World Champion. One reign away from tying Ric Flair's all time record of 16.
And that closes out this year's Money in the Bank. Sadly both ladder matches were predictable. Seth Rollins is the next rising star so it made sense to give him the briefcase. WWE leaked the SummerSlam poster showing John Cena vs Brock Lesnar which kinda made it obvious that Lesnar was finally getting his title shot and Cena was going to be the one with the title.
That about wraps up the recap, I'll be back Tuesday for RAW recap, till then, tap or snap!