Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday afternoon at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE/NXT ***
- Brock Lesnar Competing At UFC 200: During UFC 199 last Saturday night, the UFC officially announced that former UFC World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar would return to fight against an opponent to be named later at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. UFC announcers Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan confirmed it was accurate during the broadcast, but added no details. According to F4WOnline.com, Lesnar had an option put into his WWE contract earlier this year that would allow him to fight once for UFC. Sources stated that they heard that Lesnar was asking for more money and the compromise reached with Vince McMahon was for Lesnar to fight once in UFC. WWE released the following statement on Sunday morning:
"Brock Lesnar remains under contract to WWE, however, he has been granted a one-off opportunity to compete at UFC 200. Following this milestone event on July 9, Brock will return to WWE for SummerSlam on Sunday, August 21, live on WWE Network."
- UFC President Dana White Comments About Brock Lesnar: TMZ Sports caught up with UFC President Dana White after the announcement of Brock Lesnar fighting at UFC 200. White stated that he talked to Lesnar, who said that he's feeling like a million bucks and his training is going great. White admitted that being away from fighting for so long can be tough. Lesnar's last fight in the UFC was a first round TKO loss to Alistair Overeem in December of 2011.
- WWE Announces New VP Brand: WWE announced this week that Julia Jensen has been named as the new Vice President, Brand. She will report directly to WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon.
- NXT Takeover: Brooklyn Still A Go: After much speculation over Ticketmaster pulling the event last month, NXT Takeover: Brooklyn is now confirmed for SummerSlam weekend this August from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The event will take place that Saturday, August 20th. Tickets go on sale this Saturday at noon. Triple H also took to Twitter and announced the great news for NXT fans.
- Elias Samson Injured: NXT up and comer, Elias Samson, was said to have suffered a left ankle injury at the NXT Nashville, Tennessee show last week. The injury occurred in a match against Manny Andrade off a bad Stun Gun spot. The referee threw up the X signal to identify that a legitimate injury had occurred. Samson was helped to the back and was reportedly unable to bear weight on his left leg.
- Main Roster Jump: After losing the NXT World Tag Team Championship this past week at NXT Takeover: The End, there are rumors circulating that American Alpha, Jason Jordan and Chad Gable may be making the main roster jump soon. Both Jordan and Gable are over huge in NXT as a tag team and would benefit on the main roster.
- "WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match": Roman Reigns (c) vs. Seth Rollins
- "Money In The Bank, Ladder Match": Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Cesaro vs. Chris Jericho vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Sami Zayn
- "WWE United States Championship Match": Rusev (c) vs. Titus O'Neil
- "WWE World Tag Team Championship, Fatal Four Way Match": The New Day (c) vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson vs. The Vaudevillains vs. Enzo and Big Cass
- "WWE vs. TNA Dream Match": John Cena vs. AJ Styles
- My Top 5 Favorite Money In The Bank Moments:
#5. Daniel Bryan winning MITB (MITB 2012)
#4. Seth Rollins winning MITB (MITB 2014)
#3. "WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Ladder Match": Seth Rollins (c) vs. Dean Ambrose (MITB 2015)
#2. "WWE World Title, No DQ Match": CM Punk (c) vs. Daniel Bryan (MITB 2012)
#1. "WWE World Title Match": John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk (MITB 2011)
*** TNA ***
- TNA Impact Recap:
-- Matt Hardy cuts a promo and demands another TNA World Heavyweight Championship match against Drew Galloway. Galloway originally says no because he's preparing for Bobby Lashley, but Hardy finally talks Galloway into doing it.
-- Sienna defeated Madison Rayne, by pinfall with the AK-47, to become #1 contender to the TNA Knockouts Championship. After the match, Sienna attacked Madison until Jade made the save.
-- On Eli Drake's "Fact Of Life", Eli Drake officially announces he's fighting Bram at TNA Slammiversary. The Decay say that they will make The Bro-Mans Decay at TNA Slammiversary. The Bro-Mans arrive and say that they're kicking Decay ass. Grado and Mahabali Shera and Al Snow and The Tribunal come out as well and a huge brawl breaks out with all of the above involved.
-- Eli Drake, The Decay and The Tribunal defeated Bram, Grado, Mahabali Shera and The Bro-Mans, by pinfall, in a "Ten Man Tag Team Match". Drake hit Grado with the Lethal Lariat to pickup the victory.
-- Ethan Carter and Gail Kim defeated Mike Bennett and Allie, by pinfall, after Gail cradle pinned Allie. After the match, Sienna attacks Gail and works over her knee. Maria Bennett lands a steel chair shot on Gail's knee.
-- Trevor Lee defeated Eddie Edwards, by pinfall, to retain the TNA X-Division Championship. Andrew Everett helps Lee, DJ Z attacks Everett, Shane Helms lays out DJ Z and hits Edwards in the face with the title. Lee rolled up Edwards for the pinfall.
-- Braxton Sutter defeated a Local Independent Wrestler, by pinfall, with a leaping Flatliner.
-- Willow cuts a promo and says that the future awaits Matt Hardy’s fate, and the future is here. Surprises are unknown like it’s a predetermined war or the last chapter in the Bible. The Creatures await, they love, they hate, and they die for.
-- Drew Galloway defeated Matt Hardy, by DQ, to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, after Bobby Lashley attacked Galloway. After the match, Galloway and Lashley brawl all the way backstage. The lights go out and when they come back on everyone has a Willow mask on at ringside. Four more Willows appear and surround Matt Hardy and call The Matt Hardy Brand a joke. Jeff Hardy hits the ring and brawls with Matt Hardy to end the show.
- TNA Hosting 2017 World Cup?: There has been rumors making the rounds this week that there is a possibility that TNA will get to host the Wrestling World Cup in 2017. At this time nothing has been confirmed or made official as of yet.
Pay Per View will be live tonight. I'll have the full recap on Monday afternoon.
- "TNA World Heavyweight Championship, Knockout or Tap Out Match": Drew Galloway (c) vs. Bobby Lashley
- "TNA King of the Mountain Championship Match": Eli Drake (c) vs. Bram
- "TNA World Tag Team Championship Match": The Decay (c) vs. The Bro-Mans
- "Full Metal Mayhem Match": Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy
- Mahabali Shera and Grado vs. The Tribunal (Baron Dax and Basille Baracca)
- Mike Bennett vs. Ethan Carter
- Maria Bennett vs. Gail Kim
*** RING OF HONOR ***
- ROH TV Recap:
-- Kazuchika Okada defeated Matt Sydal, by pinfall, after a Rainmaker.
-- Colt Cabana defeated Adam Page, by pinfall, with a cradle. After the match, Tonga Loa and Tama Tonga joined Page and they gave Cabana a 3-on-1 Bullet Club beat down.
-- Jay Lethal defeated Donovan Dijak, by pinfall, after Adam Cole and The Young Bucks hit a super kick trifecta on Dijak that set up the Lethal Injection. After the match, Tonga Loa and Tama Tonga hit the ring, but The Briscoes make the save.
- Women Of Honor: ROH officially announced that on July 8th, ROH will have its first live Women Of Honor show. The event will include ROH women's wrestlers and some up and coming independent talent.
- "ROH World Heavyweight Championship Match": Jay Lethal (c) vs. Jay Briscoe
- "ROH Television Championship Match": Bobby Fish (c) vs. Dalton Castle
- "ROH World Tag Team Championship Match": The Addiction (c) vs. The Motor City Machine Guns
- "Fight Without Honor Match": B.J. Whitmer vs. Steve Corino
- "Six Man Tag Team Match": ACH and War Machine vs. Moose and Roppongi Vice
- "Four Corner Survival Match": Michael Elgin vs. Matt Sydal vs. Cheeseburger vs. Silas Young
- "#1 Contenders, Triple Threat Match, To The ROH World Heavyweight Championship": Adam Cole vs. Roderick Strong vs. Colt Cabana
- Mark Briscoe and Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Young Bucks
- Donovan Dijak vs. Lio Rush
*** LUCHA UNDERGROUND ***
- Lucha Underground Recap:
-- Marty The Moth and Killshot go to a double count out, after brawling outside the ring. After the match, Marty steals Killshot's dog tags.
-- Drago and Aerostar defeated PJ Black and Jack Evans, by pinfall, in a Nunchucks Match.
-- Pentagon makes a surprise return, thanks Chavo Guerrero for supporting him and then attacks and breaks Chavo's arm. Dario Cueto announces that Pentagon will now replace Chavo in tonight's match.
-- Fenix, Ivelisse, King Cuerno, Taya, Johnny Mundo and Pentagon defeated Prince Puma, Texano, Sexy Star, Son of Havoc, Rey Mysterio and Mack, by pinfall, in a Ten Man Tag Team Match, after Mundo hit Puma with the C4. The winning team will now have a match against each other next week to determine a #1 contender to the Lucha Underground Championship.
-- Catrina is shown resurrecting Mil Muertes in Dario Cueto's lair, to end the show.
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
- Jay White Headed To ROH: New Japan Pro Wrestling announced that Jay White will be heading to Ring of Honor after this month's NJPW Dominion event.
The show airs on New Japan World on June 19.
- "IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match": Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada
- "IWGP Intercontinental Championship, Ladder Match": Kenny Omega (c) vs. Michael Elgin
- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Jay White, David Finlay and Juice Robinson
- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Togi Makabe, Yos--tatsu and Captain New Japan vs. The Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi and Adam Page)
- Tomohiro Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Los Ingobernables (SANADA and BUSHI)
- Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL
- "IWGP Jr Tag Team Championship, Fatal Four Way, Elimination Match": Matt Sydal and Ricochet (c) vs. ReDRagon vs. RPG Vice vs. The Young Bucks
- "IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship Match": KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay
- "IWGP Tag Team Championship Match": Guerrilas Of Destiny (c) vs. The Briscoes
- "NEVER Openweight Championship Match": Yuji Nagata (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata
*** OTHER NEWS ***
Bellator CEO Scott Coker issued the following statement to TMZ:
"We are all shocked and saddened by the devastating untimely loss of Kimbo Slice, a beloved member of the Bellator family. One of the most popular MMA fighters ever, Kimbo was a charismatic, larger-than-life personality that transcended the sport. Outside of the cage he was a friendly, gentle giant and a devoted family man. HIs loss leaves us all with extremely heavy hearts, and our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Ferguson family and all of Kimbo's friends, fans and teammates."
- CM Punk Reality Show: Dave Meltzer of f4wonline.com noted this week that Fox Sports 1 is working on a reality show focusing on CM Punk’s UFC debut against Mickey Gall. The series is scheduled to air in August, indicating that Punk may finally debut in late August or September. Sources are saying that there is a possibility that Punk debuts at UFC 202 in August.
- Don't Be A Lemon: The wrestler formally known as Adam Rose in the WWE revealed on Twitter this week that he'd continue on with his life of the party gimmick on the independent wrestling scene. Rose announced that his new wrestling name will now be Aldo Rose and quoted his new gimmick as a "Ain’t no more PG in this party!” gimmick. The new Aldo Rose character will have a new feel to it and will likely be edgier than what we saw in WWE.
- Edge And Beth Phoenix Have Second Child: WWE happily announced a congratulates to Edge and Beth Phoenix as they welcomed their second child on May 31, 2016, Ruby Ever Copeland.
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!