Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday afternoon at @TripleThreatCLE
*** WWE ***
- Chris Jericho Wins The WWE United States Championship: If you missed RAW last Monday night, head on back to my RAW Recap this week and check out how Chris Jericho became the new WWE United States Champion.
- Chris Jericho Making History For Himself: With Chris Jericho winning the WWE United States Championship last Monday, Jericho has now held every single title ever invented in the WWE. Since WWE owns all of the rights to WCW I guess you can include the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, WCW Cruiserweight Championship and WCW Television Championship to this list too? Maybe? WWE wise, Jericho has won the WWE Undisputed World Championship, World Heavyweight Championship, WWE Intercontinental Championship, WWE United States Championship, WWE European Championship, WWE Hardcore Championship, WWE Undisputed World Tag Team Championship and the WWE World Tag Team Championship.
- Brock Lesnar On RAW Tomorrow: Last Monday, WWE officially announced that The Beast Brock Lesnar will be on RAW tomorrow night. Lesnar will more than likely be hyping his involvement in this year's Royal Rumble match.
- Brock Lesnar and Goldberg Face To Face: WWE recently announced that the RAW show in Cleveland one week before the WWE Royal Rumble will have both Lesnar and Goldberg on the show. WWE originally were going to save Lesnar and Goldberg from meeting each other again until the actual Royal Rumble match, but it looks like that idea has changed.
- Triple H Comments On NJPW's Kenny Omega: NJPW's Kenny Omega has been the major topic throughout the whole month of January so far. Omega's contract with NJPW is set to expire at the end of January and many rumors are pointing at Omega arriving in the WWE soon. Triple H was recently asked about how he felt about the Omega, who has solidified a name for himself over in Japan and if he'd want Omega in the WWE. Triple H stated the following:
"As far as Kenny Omega goes, I'm just interested in talent, period. If somebody is talented as a performer and they wanna come work for the WWE, if they wanna come to the largest platform in the world where they can truly show what they do off on a global basis, then WWE is the choice for them. If they wanna come work for us and they're very talented, then I'm interested in talking to them, and that's across the board. To me, anytime anybody questions me on a talent, am I interested in them? The fact that you're questioning me on them means that person is probably pretty talented, so, yes, I'm interested."
- WWE Hire A New Announcer: One of our own sports announcers in Cleveland was just hired on as a WWE Announcer this past week. According to PWInsider, WWE hired announcer Vic Travagliante. Vic will reportedly use the name Vic Joseph. Vic has been the voice of House of Hardcore and has previously worked for the Cleveland Browns Network, CBS Cleveland and was heard on 92.3 The Fan on Cleveland radio.
- Hall Of Fame News: Last week it was officially announced that Diamond Dallas Page and Ravishing Rick Rude have been chosen for the 2017 Hall of Fame. According to Brian Alvarez from Wrestling Observer Radio, the following names are being talked about possibly going into the Hall of Fame this year: NXT GM William Regal, Christian, Mike Rotunda (I.R.S.) and The Natural Disasters.
-- 205 Live Recap --
Tonight's main event saw WWE Cruiserweight Champion Rich Swann battle Tony Nese in a one on one match. Jack Gallagher also held his Parley with Ariya Daivari to try to bury the hatchet.
-- Noam Dar vs. Cedric Alexander: The match closes out with Dar countering the Lumbar Check and nails Alexander with a handspring kick for a near fall. Dar rolls up Alexander, grabs his trunks and gets another near fall. Alexander goes to the top rope, but Dar shoves him off into the ring post. Alexander regains himself and goes for a moonsault, but Alicia Fox pulls Dar out of the way. Dar hits a running kick and scores the pinfall. After the match, Alicia kisses then slaps Dar in the face.
Winner: Noam Dar, by pinfall.
Winner: Brian Kendrick, by submission.
- Backstage, Cedric Alexander kicks Alicia Fox to the curb and Alicia snaps into Crazy Alicia.
- Jack Gallagher and Ariya Daivari's Parley: Gallagher and Daivari meet in the ring. Gallagher says this little scuffle between them needs to end. Daivari says he's not a gentleman, he's here to squash guys like Gallagher and Gallagher should be here to surrender. Gallagher challenges Daivari to an I Forfeit Match, which Daivari accepts. Gallagher and Daivari start brawling and are separated by officials.
*** NXT ***
- Talent Name Changes: WWE announced that they have changed the ring names of two of their up and coming NXT talents. Tommy End has changed his name to Aleister Black and Big Damo has had his name changed to Killian Dain.
- Shane Thorne Injured: WWE recently announced that Shane Thorne of TM61 will be out of action for several months as he will be getting surgery on his knee. Thorne suffered the injury in a tag match against The Revival which was taped at the beginning of January and will air on NXT TV on January 25th.
- First Look At Kassius Ohno and Kimber Lee: With Kassius Ohno (Chris Hero) returning to NXT and Kimber Lee currently training at the Performance Center for a future NXT debut, I figured I'd give you a first look at both superstars for those of you not firmiliar with the independent wrestlers.
Chris Hero vs. Kimber Lee at Beyond Wrestling:
*** TNA ***
-- TNA Impact Recap --
A double main event highlighted TNA Impact this week. The Broken Hardy's defended their TNA World Tag Team Championship against The Wolves. Bobby Lashley battled Ethan Carter in a Last Man Standing Match with the winner becoming the #1 Contender to the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.
-- Backstage, The Broken Hardy's promise to delete The Wolves tonight.
-- Ethan Carter Promo: EC3 says that all he ever wanted was a fair title match, but it seems that The Wolves are colluding against him. EC3 calls out The Wolves but Bobby Lashley arrives instead. Lashley says the difference between he and EC3 is Lashley will do anything to win the title. Lashley handed EC3 a steel chair to use on Eddie Edwards last week, but he refused, so it's EC3's problem that he lost. Lashley challenges EC3 to a Last Man Standing Match with the winner meeting Eddie Edwards for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. EC3 accepts, a brawl breaks out between the two and security separates both men.
-- Aron Rex and Rockstar Spud Promo: Aron Rex and Rockstar Spud appear with new gimmicks. Rex has on a long white fur coat and rings on his fingers and Spud is dressed like a chauffer. Rex says that people don't pay to see him wrestle, they just pay to see him. Robbie E interrupts Rex and Spud and make fun of their new gimmick together. Rex and Spud beat down Robbie E and leave him laid out.
-- Backstage, Maria Bennett yells at Allie because she's still hanging out with Braxton Sutter.
-- The Decay vs. The DCC: The match closes out with Abyss splashing Bram and Eddie Kingston in the corner. James Storm distracts Abyss as Crazy Steve suicide dives onto Bram and Kingston. Abyss and Storm start to brawl and then Storm hits Abyss with a bottle of water. The referee throws out the match. After the match, The Decay and The DCC brawl to the backstage area.
Winners: No Contest
-- Backstage, Davey Richards says he feels naked without a belt. Eddie Edwards says that'll change tonight when they beat The Broken Hardy's.
-- TNA announces that former TNA Knockouts Champion Brooke Tessmacher will return next week.
-- Backstage, Maria is furious and blames Allie for Mike Bennett's loss.
-- Rosemary Promo: Rosemary says every Knockout on the roster will decay. Jade interrupts and says that she's still here and she's not leaving until she gets a rematch for the TNA Knockouts Championship. Rosemary accepts, but it has to be in a Monsters Ball Match. Jade accepts as Rosemary tries to attack. Jade kicks Rosemary and goes for a piledriver, but Rosemary escapes.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
-- ROH TV Recap --
This week the Decade of Excellence Tournament continued, with two more matches taking place. In the main event, it was Chris Sabin of the Motor City Machine Guns battling Colt Cabana.
-- "Decade of Excellence Tournament Match": Jay Briscoe vs. BJ Whitmer: The match closes out with Whitmer executing an exploder suplex on Briscoe. Kevin Sullivan slides Whitmer the golden spike foreign object. Whitmer goes to hit Jay, but Mark Briscoe hits the ring, stops Whitmer and then leaps on top of Punishment Martinez at ringside. Jay dodges another Whitmer attempt with the golden spike, hits the Jay Driller on Whitmer and scores the pinfall to advance to the semifinals. After the match, Whitmer promises that their will be a sacrifice next week.
-- "The Last Real Man" Silas Young and The Beer City Bruiser vs. Alex Reynolds and Jon Silver: The match closes out with Silver and Reynolds double teaming Young. Young tosses Reynolds outside, as Bruiser attacks Silver from behind. Young and Bruiser double team Silver and then Bruiser hits a Yokozuna Splash on Silver from the middle ropes. Young with a jack knife pinfall for the win. After the match, Young announces that he and Bruiser want to make a run at the ROH Six Man Tag Team Championship and announces Bull James (NXT's Bull Dempsey) as their new third partner. Young and Bruiser then change their mind and beat down James when he gets inside the ring. Bruiser hits a top rope splash on James and James is left laid out by the duo.
-- "Six Man Tag Team Match": The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O'Ryan and Vinny Marseglia) vs. Cheeseburger, Will Ferrara and Joey Daddiego: The match closes out with Cheeseburger hitting the Shotei on Tavern, but Cheeseburger gets raked in the eyes. The Kingdom all hit their finishers on Cheeseburger while he's blinded. O'Ryan hits an over the shoulder driver, followed by a swanton bomb by Marseglia, and then a frog splash by Taven for the pinfall.
-- "Decade Of Excellence Tournament Match": Colt Cabana vs. Chris Sabin: The match closes out with Cabana hitting a leaping hip attack on Sabin and gets the near fall. Dalton Castle's Boys suddenly hit ringside and distract Cabana. Sabin small packages Cabana on the distraction and scores the pinfall to advance to the semifinals.
** Decade of Excellence Semi Finals Tournament Bracket **
- Chris Sabin vs. Christopher Daniels
- Jay Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal/Jushin Thunder Liger Winner
*** Lucha Underground ***
-- Lucha Underground TV Recap --
This week was the mid season finale of Lucha Underground. The main event saw Dragon Azteca battle Matanza Cueto in a Death Match.
-- Inside Dario Cueto's office, Cueto is meeting with LA City Councilman Delgado. Both share a chat about being Gods. Dragon Azteca arrives and asks for a match with Matanza Cueto in a Death Match. Dario accepts and books it as the main event.
-- At the commentary table, Vampiro sends a message to Mil Muertes that it won't be tonight, but Vampiro will get Muertes back for his attack last week.
-- El Texano vs. Joey Ryan: The match closes out with Joey taking control, hits a pump handle bridge suplex and then hits the Sleaze Kick for a near fall. Ryan goes for Texano's bullrope in the corner, but Famous B stops Ryan. Beautiful Brenda meanwhile slides Texano a horseshoe, while Texano uses to hit Ryan with to score the pinfall. After the match, Texano shoves Famous B, but shows interest in Brenda.
-- Cage vs. Veneno: The match closes out with Veneno getting in some high flying offense. Cage finally takes out the new comer with the Delayed Reverse Driver and scores the pinfall. After the match, Cage puts his Gauntlet glove on, snaps and grabs the referee. Cage comes back down from his power high and leaves the ring.
-- Sexy Star Attacks Veneno: Sexy Star hits the ring and begins to beat down Veneno and accuses him of being her spider stalker over the past month due to Veneno wearing a spider mask.
-- Backstage, Prince Puma is training and hears the voices of his old mentor Konnan in his head, driving Puma nuts. Catrina arrives and says it's never the same when you die, you can't stop the voices when you cross over to the spiritual realm and Catrina claims to hear voices too. Catrina says the future holds blood and pain from Mil Muertes for Puma. Puma puts a kendo stick to Catrina's neck, but releases her and goes back to training.
-- Rey Mysterio Attacks: After the match, Rey Mysterio hits the ring, looks for Azteca's body and then goes after Matanza. Rey and Matanza start brawling in the crowd and Matanza tosses Rey up to the top of the stairs. Matanza gets Rey on his shoulders and tries to toss Rey into The Temple's steel structure. Rey goes for a hurricanrana, but Matanza counters and tosses Rey into a wall. Matanza and Rey brawl into a cage where Matanza charges at Rey. Rey counters and sends Matanza over the railing and through a wood structure down below. Dario Cueto starts ringing the bell and demanding everyone to get out of his Temple now. Cueto officially closes The Temple as Rey Mysterio stands tall.
- Lucha Underground Season 3 News: This past Wednesday was the mid season finale of Lucha Underground Season 3. Lucha Underground will return with the second half of Season 3 in the summer of 2017.
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
- New Japan Fighting Back Against The WWE: With the WWE currently trying to sign as much talent as they can in all the major promotions, NJPW has changed up their contract offers. NJPW is now offering their talent multi year contract deals to try to keep their talent on lock and keep them from jumping ship to the WWE.
*** Full Impact Pro ***
Full Impact Pro Wrestling returned to FloSlam, the current channel that offers EVOLVE, House of Hardcore and Shine, with new not kid friendly wrestling action. The huge wrestling fans like myself know that guys like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, MVP, Colt Cabana, Homicide and Tyler Black (Seth Rollins) all got their starts at one time in Full Impact Pro and went on to make names for themselves. This new era of FIP promises to bring you the new future talent much like the old FIP did.
-- "Get The Contract Fight For All Match": Teddy Stigma ended up retrieving the contract to pick up the victory. Stigma was granted a FIP World Championship Match later tonight against the champion Fred Yehi for the win.
-- “American Viking” Alexander Rudolph vs. Billy Barboza: The match closes out with Rudolph applying a choke hold on Barboza and then executing a german suplex to score the pinfall.
-- Dezmond Xavier and Sammy Guevara vs. OI4K (Dave Crist and Sami Callihan): The match never starts as Darby Allin comes out to the ring and asks if anyone knows who Uncle John is. Crist and Callihan say they know Uncle John, but Xavier and Guevara have no clue. Allin, Crist and Callihan proceed to beat down Xavier and Guevara.
-- "Triple Threat Match": AR Fox vs. Jason Cade vs. Jason Kincaid: The match never starts as Darby Allin, Dave Crist and Sami Callihan come to the ring and ask if anyone knows who Uncle John is. Fox says he does, but Cade and Kincaid have no clue. Fox, Allin, Crist and Callihan all join forces and beat down Cade and Kincaid.
-- Aria Blake vs. Priscilla Kelly: The match closes out with Blake executing a folding press on Kelly and scoring the pinfall.
-- Austin Theory vs. Anthony Henry: The match closes out with Theory executing a folding press on Henry and uses the ropes for leverage to score the pinfall.
-- "FIP Florida Heritage Championship Match": Martin Stone (c) vs. Jon Davis: The match closes out with Stone grabbing a steel chain, wraps it around his hand and knocks out Davis with a steel chain punch to retain the title.
-- "FIP World Tag Team Championship Match": The Hooligans (Devin and Mason Cutter)(c) vs. Drennen and Parrow: The match closes out with The Hooligans hitting a double team spike piledriver to score the pinfall to retain the titles.
-- "FIP World Heavyweight Championship Match": Fred Yehi (c) vs. Teddy Stigma: The match closes out with Yehi grabbing barbed wire and locking in a Koji Clutch submission on Stigma with the barbed wire wrapped around Stigma. Stigma taps out and Yehi retains the title.
-- Uncle John’s Friends (AR Fox, Darby Allin, Dave Crist and Sami Callihan) vs. Dezmond Xavier, Jason Cade, Jason Kincaid and Sammy Guevara: The match closes out with Fox hitting the Fox Catcher on Xavier to score the pinfall to end the show.
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!