Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news and recaps involving WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, GFW, NJPW, House of Hardcore and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday afternoon at @TripleThreatCLE.
*** WWE/NXT ***
- The Brand Extension And Draft: The big story in WWE this week was the return of the Brand Extension and the Draft. RAW and Smackdown drafted their rosters this past Tuesday on Smackdown Live, beginning a New Era in the WWE. Click on the link below and check who all got drafted where.
2016 WWE Draft Results
- Brock Lesnar Possible Fine: Last week I gave a nice write up on Brock Lesnar's failed drug test and highlights of his fight with Mark Hunt at UFC 200. This week Lesnar's possible punishment has been announced. If Brock Lesnar's flagged test does come back positive for performance enhancing drugs, he could be fined from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for $1.25 million to $1.875 million dollars. According to NSAC guidelines, it states that athletes may be fined 50 to 75 percent of their purse if they fail a drug test for anabolic steroids. It was reported that Lesnar made $2.5 million for his fight against Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 9th. Fines could be lowered if the NSAC believes Lesnar accidently took a tainted supplement. There is also a possibility that the NSAC goes after Lesnar's PPV bonus money he receives from UFC. A NSAC hearing for Lesnar's possible USADA violation is expected to be within the next couple weeks, based on the fact that Jon Jones already has a similar hearing scheduled for July 18th. Lesnar could also be suspended from MMA for two years if he tests positive for PEDs. It is possible he could receive a shorter suspension if the commission believes the violation was accidental.
- WWE Announces The Return Of The Cruiserweight Division: In a surprising announcement this past Monday by Stephanie McMahon, the WWE will be bringing back the Cruiserweight Division. Thanks to the popularity the current Cruiserweight Classic Tournament has received the WWE has decided to bring it back for RAW only.
- Shane McMahon's Future: Wrestling Observer Newsletter stated that Shane McMahon still doesn't have a front office position within the WWE. Shane has also been telling close friends that he's not sure how much longer he will be used on WWE TV. Shane was appointed the commissioner of Smackdown, but he assigned Daniel Bryan as his General Manager to run Smackdown for him.
"1) I was at NXT TV tapings on Wed.
2) I didn't "unexpectedly miss" or "no show" NXT Live Events this wknd.
3) I had a very nice swim today."
- Paul Heyman's Contract Expired: According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Paul Heyman's contract with the WWE has expired. Last report stated that the two sides have not come to an agreement for a renewal.
- Honoring Randy Orton's Return, check out Orton's Top 10 RKO's Outta Nowhere!:
- Backstage Brawl: Sources have stated that during Smackdown Live on Tuesday, Sin Cara and Simon Gotch were involved in a real life backstage brawl and had to be separated. Sources have also said that Sin Cara did the most damage on Gotch before being separated.
- Squash Matches: WWE announced this week that there will be more squash matches returning to WWE TV soon. Having New talent win squash matches will be a better opportunity to build up a wrestler before their first big feud.
- Cruiserweight Classic: If you missed episode one and two of the WWE Cruiserweight Classic Tournament than check out highlights of the first two episodes here.
CWC Episode #1:
CWC Episode #2:
*** TNA ***
-- Matt Hardy tells Jeff Hardy that it was when Jeff broke his leg last year that halted The Hardy Boys run as TNA Tag Team Champions when Matt became "Broken". Matt pressures Jeff into attempting the same jump that Jeff broke his leg on.
-- Bobby Lashley calls out Moose. Mike Bennett and Moose appear. Bennett says Moose will be his master plan in winning the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Eddie Edwards runs out, attacks Moose from behind and a brawl breaks out.
-- Dixie Carter bans Bennett and Moose from ringside during the Lashley vs. Edwards match tonight. Bennett will be fired if he disobeys and Bennett will fight Jeff Hardy.
-- Matt Hardy says he owns Jeff Hardy and Dixie will be fined $5,000 for using Jeff. Matt decides to let Jeff fight as a gift to Dixie. Matt also shows the video of Jeff making the dirt bike jump and crashing on his back.
-- Mike Bennett defeated Jeff Hardy, by pinfall, in a Bound For Glory Playoff Match. Bennett hits a Cutter on Jeff for the win. After the match, Matt insults Jeff, calling him a pathetic, empty vessel of flesh and Matt will break Jeff.
-- Matt Hardy defeated James Storm, by pinfall, in a Bound For Glory Playoff Match. Reby Hardy grabs Storm's ankle when he went for the Last Call, allowing Hardy to hit the Twist Of Hate.
-- Ethan Carter and Drew Galloway go face to face. Carter explains what being in TNA means to him and what he's accomplished. Galloway explains what he's done since arriving and how TNA seeked Galloway out to sign to a contract. Eli Drake interrupts, calls both Carter and Galloway dummies and guarantees that he's winning the Bound For Glory Playoff.
-- Maria Bennett's State of the Address turns into a huge brawl. Allie tries to stick up for Maria and her leadership skills. Jade demands another match with Marti Belle. Gail Kim demands another TNA Knockouts Championship match. Maria calls Gail selfish. Jade and Marti start brawling and Madison Rayne lays out Gail with a Rolling Cutter.
-- Bobby Lashley defeated Eddie Edwards, by pinfall, in a Six Sides Of Steel Match, to win the TNA X-Division Championship and retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Lashley superplexed Edwards off the top of the cage and hits two spears on Edwards for the win. After the match, Ethan Carter attacks Lashley. Matt Hardy, Drew Galloway, Mike Bennett and Moose all hit the ring and a brawl ends this week's Impact.
- New Gimmick For Tyrus: TNA announced on TNA Impact that Tyrus will be returning soon with a new gimmick. You can check it out here:
*** RING OF HONOR ***
- ROH TV Recap:
-- Jay White defeated Kamaitachi, by pinfall, with the Kiwi Krusher. After the match, Kamaitachi, Daniels and Kazarian attack White. The Motor City Machine Guns hit the ring and make the save. Nigel McGuinness appears and makes this a six man tag team match.
-- Jay White and MCMG defeated The Addiction, by pinfall, in a Six Man Tag Team Match. White hits the Kiwi Krusher on Daniels to score the pinfall.
-- Keith Lee and Shane Taylor defeated Victor Andrews and James Anthony, by pinfall. Lee and Taylor hit a double team power bomb/splash off the ropes combo to score the pinfall.
-- BJ Whitmer has joined forces with Kevin Sullivan, in his feud with Steve Corino.
-- Dalton Castle defeated Roderick Strong, by pinfall, after hitting Bang-a-Rang.
- Lucha Underground: Ultima Lucha Dos Part 3 Recap:
-- Vampiro is shown performing a ritual to get his student Pentagon Jr. ready for his match tonight. After the ritual is complete, Vampiro announces that Pentagon Jr. will now be know as Pentagon Dark.
-- Aerostar, Fenix and Drago defeated Jack Evans, PJ Black and Johnny Mundo, by pinfall, to win the Lucha Underground Trios Championship. Mundo, Black and Evans beat down the referee after what they called a slow count. Angelico arrives with crutches and viciously beats down Mundo with the weapon. Fenix hits the Fenix Driver on Mundo and scores the pinfall.
-- El Dragon Azteca Jr. vs. Black Lotus ends in a no contest, after Pentagon Dark arrives and attacks both men. Azteca is planted with a Package Piledriver by Pentagon. Pentagon then goes on to break both Azteca and Lotus' arms with the Sacrifice Arm Breaker.
-- Taya defeated Ivelisse, by pinfall. The lights went out in the end signalling Catrina's entrance. Catrina hits a double underhook driver on Ivelisse, before disappearing in another black out. Taya hits a double foot stomp on Ivelisse for the win.
-- Rey Mysterio defeated Prince Puma, by pinfall, after hitting the 619 and a top rope hurricanrana.
-- Before Lucha Underground ends, Pentagon Dark comes out of nowhere, hits Vampiro with the barb wire baseball bat and knocks Matt Striker out. Pentagon drives the barb wire bat into Vampiro repeatedly and licks Vampiro's blood. Pentagon announces that Vampiro is no longer his master, he is now his own.
-- Dario Cueto is shown being arrested and loaded into a police van. The lights in the van flicker, Cueto smiles and we get a TO BE CONTINUED.......
Ultima Lucha Dos Part 3 Highlights
*** NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING ***
"I have spoken with the heads at NXT, and they've all said, If you want to come down, let us know the second your visa is in place, you're on TV the next week. I thought that was really cool of them to say and I appreciate they recognize that I'd add some value to their product, so I always kept that in my mind as an option. But this is going back to my Deep South days, I still haven't quite shown them what I can do on my own, and that's what I think this year is going to do for me."
*** EVOLVE ***
-- Johnny Gargano defeated Cedric Alexander, by submission, with a cross face. After the match, Drew Galloway attacks Gargano. Ethan Page makes the save, but gets steel chair shots from Galloway. Drew Gulak hits the ring and goes after Galloway. Chuck Taylor arrives as backup for Galloway and DDT's Gulak.
-- Drew Galloway talks Catch Point into putting their EVOLVE Tag Team Championship on the line later in the evening.
-- Tony Nese defeated Darby Allin, Chris Dickinson and Fred Yehi, by pinfall, in a fatal four way match. Nese hits a 450 Splash on Allin to score the pinfall.
-- Ethan Page defeated Wheeler YUTA, by pinfall, with the Package Piledriver.
-- Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Jigsaw, by pinfall, with the Penalty Kick.
-- Matthew Riddle defeated Roderick Strong, by submission, with the Bromission submission.
-- Timothy Thatcher defeated Marty Scurll, by submission, with a sleeper, to retain the EVOLVE Championship. After the match, TJP attacks Thatcher. Catch Point hits the ring to help, but Thatcher gets hit with a TJP kick.
-- Cedric Alexander defeated Tommaso Ciampa, by pinfall, with the Lumbar Check.
-- Ethan Page defeated Travis Gordon, by pinfall, with the package piledriver. After the match, Drew Galloway attacked Page and hits the Future Shock.
-- Matthew Riddle defeated Marty Scurll, by submission, with the modified Rings of Saturn.
-- Drew Gulak, Tracy Williams and Fred Yehi defeated Darby Allin, Chris Dickinson and Jonathan Gresham, by submission, in a Six Man Tag Team match. After the match, Timothy Thatcher hits the ring and brawls with TJP.
-- Timothy Thatcher defeated TJP, by pinfall, with a rollup pin, to retain the EVOLVE Heavyweight Championship
-- Zack Sabre, Jr. defeated Anthony Nese, by pinfall, with a bridge.
-- Drew Galloway defeated Johnny Gargano, by pinfall, with a tombstone pile driver. After the match, Ethan Page hits the ring and nails Galloway with a slingshot Ace Crusher.
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!