Wrestling Lockup with Brandon, brought to you by Triple Threat CLE brings you the Weekend 3 Count. W3C brings you wrestling news, rumors and recaps from around the wrestling world. You'll find news rumors and recaps involving WWE, NXT, Impact Wrestling, GFW, ROH, Lucha Underground, NJPW, House of Hardcore, NWA, ICW, CZW, FIP, AAW, EVOLVE, PROGRESS, SHINE, SHIMMER and any Indy promotion that I find an interesting story or a cool discovery in. Be sure to check out the W3C every Sunday afternoon at @TripleThreatCLE
** Theme Song Of The Week **
The theme song of the week goes to a man that proved that once again anything can happen in the WWE. The new WWE World Heavyweight Champion Jinder Mahal. Don't Hinder the Jinder!!!!
*** WWE ***
- Pete Dunne Wins A Title: If you missed NXT Takeover: Chicago last Saturday night, check out my recap and read about how Pete Dunne became the new WWE United Kingdom Champion.
- Brock Lesnar News: Sources are saying that there is a huge possibility that the five men competing in the Fatal Five Way Match at WWE Extreme Rules, all will eventually get one on one matches with Lesnar from now until Wrestlemania 34.
- Matt Hardy/Impact News: Matt Hardy recently tweeted out this week that Impact Wrestling never once paid Matt's father in law Senor Benjamin the whole time he was used as a character in the Broken Universe. The Hardy Family are still having legal issues with Impact Wrestling over who owns the rights to the Broken Gimmick, Broken Universe and all the characters that were used during that time frame.
- WWE Comments On Broken Gimmick: WWE recently stated that they are not interested in buying the rights to the Broken Gimmick from Impact Wrestling because they are not interested in using the gimmick. There is word, however, that if Matt Hardy were to win the lawsuit and become sole owner of the Broken Gimmick then WWE would be interested in using it.
- Women's Money In The Bank: Many sites are stating that we will finally be seeing a women's division Money In The Bank match this year. The match has been rumored for a few years now, but sources are saying that WWE is set to pull the trigger this year at the Smackdown Live pay per view.
- More Women's Tournament News: WWE has announced that the first ever 32 Woman Tournament this summer will be named the Mae Young Classic and will take place on Thursday, July 13th, and Friday, July 14th, from Full Sail University in Orlando, Fla. The tournament, named after WWE Hall of Famer and one of the greatest WWE Superstars in history, Mae Young, will feature 32 of the top female competitors from around the world participating in a single elimination tournament. Triple H stated the following:
“The Mae Young Classic will mark a significant moment in the evolution of WWE. We are proud to provide this unique opportunity for the best female talent from around the world.”
- Shinsuke Nakamura To Make MSG Debut: WWE announced this week that Shinsuke Nakamura will be making his Madison Square Garden debut on July 7th against Dolph Ziggler.
- Emma Update: WWE announced this week that Emma should be cleared to wrestle by mid June. Emma suffered a shoulder injury at a WWE live event on May 7th in Liverpool, England.
** 205 Live Recap **
The main event of the show saw Brian Kendrick battle Akira Tozawa in a Street Fight Match. Also on the show, Cedric Alexander returned from his injury and had a one on one match.
- Rich Swann vs. Ariya Daivari: The match closes out with Swann taking control with a drop toe hold and a spinning hook kick on Daivari. Swann hits the Phoenix Splash and scores the pinfall. After the match, Noam Dar hits the ring and tosses Swann outside.
Winner: Rich Swann, by pinfall.
- Austin Aries and Neville Interview Via Satellite: Neville says Aries is no more of a threat than the others before him and the only surprise is that Aries is getting yet another title shot. Aries says he deserves another shot because Neville cheated to win the first time and purposely got DQ'ed the second time. Aries says he's had roadblocks thrown at him before so this is nothing new. Aries promises to make Neville tap out at WWE Extreme Rules. Neville tells Aries to walk away now because Neville will not take full responsibility after he seriously injures Aries. Aries promises the same to end the segment.
- Cedric Alexander vs. Johnny Boone: The match closes out with Alexander getting the quick pinfall after hitting the Lumbar Check on Boone.
Winner: Cedric Alexander, by pinfall.
Winner: Akira Tozawa, by pinfall.
*** NXT ***
- Why Was #DIY Split Up?: According to Dave Meltzer, he has stated that #DIY was split up because both men will be making their main roster debuts in WWE soon. WWE wanted to bring both men to the main roster as singles wrestlers instead of a tag team.
- Asuka Sets Record: This past week, NXT Women's Champion Asuka went on to pass Goldberg on most wins during her current undefeated streak. Asuka continues to dominate the NXT Women's Division and many wonder if there is any woman that can stop her.
- NXT Manchester Live Show Possibly Cancelled: TMZ is reporting that the WWE NXT live event scheduled for June 6th at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England will possibly be cancelled due to the recent terrorist attack during the Ariana Grande concert this past Monday night. WWE officials are working with local officials to determine if the event should go on. A WWE rep told TMZ:
"WWE offers its heartfelt condolences to those affected by this tragedy. We are working with local authorities on the appropriate course of action as it relates to our event scheduled for Tuesday, June 6 at the Manchester Arena".
- "The Velveteen Dream" Patrick Clark Debuts: This past Wednesday on NXT, Patrick Clark made his NXT debut with his Velveteen Dream gimmick.
- From Capital Hill, Washington D.C.
- Trained by Maryland Championship Wrestling.
- Made wrestling debut in 2014
- Was on the 6th Season of WWE Tough Enough, eliminated 5th.
- Has wrestled for MCW, CZW, World Xtreme Wrestling and Marvelous Puroresu USA.
- 1 Time MCW World Tag Team Champion with Lio Rush.
*** Impact/GFW Wrestling ***
** Impact TV Recap **
The main event of the show saw James Storm battle Ethan Carter and Magnus in a Triple Threat Match to determine a new #1 Contender to the Impact World Championship.
- Bruce Prichard Promo: Prichard has hired Tyrus for security after Ethan Carter's actions last week. Prichard invites Impact World Champion Bobby Lashley out. Lashley says he's a dominate champion and everyone else are a bunch of nobodies. EC3 interrupts, mocks Prichard and guarantees that he's taking Lashley's title. Magnus interrupts, mocks Prichard and EC3 and mentions that he and Lashley have never wrestled each other. James Storm interrupts and mocks Lashley's size of his head. Prichard stops a brawl from starting and announces that the triple threat match between the three of them will be a No DQ Match. Prichard then says that they can not attack each other until their match later or else face suspension.
- Kongo Kong and KM vs. Braxton Sutter and Mahabali Shera: The match closes out with Laurel Van Ness and Sienna going after Allie. Kongo takes advantage of the distraction and head butts Shera. KM rolls up Shera with a handful of tights and scores the pinfall. After the match, the men brawl backstage as Laurel and Sienna beat down Allie. Rosemary hits the ring and surprisingly helps Allie by spitting mist at Laurel and Sienna. Rosemary clotheslines Sienna and hits Red Wedding on Laurel.
Winners: Kongo Kong and KM, by pinfall.
- "GFW World Tag Team Championship Tournament Match": The Veterans Of War (Mayweather and Wilcox) vs. Fallah Bahh and Mario Bokara: The match closes out with Wilcox hitting an overhead suplex on Bokara and then tossing Bahh outside. VOW hit their double team finisher called the Mother of All Bombs on Bokara to score the pinfall.
Winners: The Veterans of War, by pinfall, to advance to the Finals of the tournament to face LAX.
- Josh Mathews Promo: Mathews calls Jeremy Borash into the ring. Mathews apologizes to Shark Boy, Dave Penzar, Mike Tenay (for taking Tenay's job) and mocks Jim Ross. Mathews apologizes and fake cries to JB and offers a hand shake. Joseph Park interrupts and advises JB not to accept the apology. Mathews snaps, demands respect and feels he should be calling every major event in Impact Wrestling. JB and Park demand to know who Mathews' partner is. Mathews continues to insult Parks and demands to wrestle Parks right now. Parks and Mathews are about to fight when suddenly Scott Steiner's music hits and out comes Big Poppa Pump. Steiner chases JB and Park outside. Mathews lands a low blow on Park. Steiner takes Park into the ring and applies the Steiner Recliner submission. Mathews officially announces Steiner as his tag team partner and then Steiner chases JB backstage.
- Backstage, Eli Drake tries to comment on Moose. Moose interrupts, tries to attack Drake, but gets held back by officials. Moose accepts a challenge from Drake for the Impact Grand Championship for next week. Moose and Drake brawl until Chris Adonis arrives and helps Drake beat down Moose.
- Davey Richards and Angelina Love vs. Eddie Edwards and Alisha Edwards: The match closes out with Edwards dodging an aerial assault by Richards. Edwards overhead suplexes Richards and then both ladies are tagged in. Alisha misses a cross body and Angelina misses a scissors kick. Alisha rolls up Angelina and scores the pinfall. After the match, Richards attacks Edwards and handcuffs him to the ropes. Edwards is then forced to watch as Angelina power bombs Alisha through a table.
- Eddie and Alisha Edwards, by pinfall.
- Rockstar Spud Interview: Spud says the UK doctors are making him take another week off, but promises he'll get revenge on Swoggle.
- "#1 Contenders, Triple Threat Match": James Storm vs. Ethan Carter vs. Magnus: The match closes out with Magnus in the tree of woe while Storm is on the top rope. EC3 attempts a superplex, but Magnus reaches up from the tree of woe and suplexes EC3 and Storm through the air. Storm tosses EC3 into the steel chair wedged in the corner and then hits a neck breaker. Magnus hits an elbow on Storm, but then eats a Last Call from Storm. EC3 knees Storm to the outside and then steals the pinfall on Magnus for the win.
Winner: Ethan Carter, by pinfall, to become the new #1 Contender to the Impact World Championship.
*** RING OF HONOR ***
** ROH TV Recap **
This week's show was a blast from the past, as three matches from February's Honor Rising event were shown.
- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask and Delirious vs. Evil, Bushi, and Sanada: The match closes out with Evil hitting Delirious with a steel chair while the referee was distracted. Sanada traps Delirious in the Skull End submission for the tap out win.
Winners: Evil, Bushi and Sanada, by submission.
- Hiroki Goto vs. Punishment Martinez: The match closes out with Goto hitting the GTR on Martinez to score the pinfall.
Winner: Hiroki Goto, by pinfall.
- "Eight Man Tag Team Match": Will Ospreay, The Briscoes, and Kazuchika Okada vs. The Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks): The match closes out with Cody drilling Ospreay with Cross Rhodes to score the pinfall for The Bullet Club.
Winners: The Bullet Club, by pinfall.
*** Lucha Underground ***
- The Return: Have you been missing the Lucha Underground as much as I have been? Well have no fear wrestling fans because the second half of season 3 begins this Wednesday, May 31st. As usual I will provide you with the quick recaps of every show every Sunday afternoon in the Weekend 3 Count.
*** EVOLVE ***
EVOLVE 84 took place live in Summit, Illinois. EVOLVE World Champion Zack Sabre Jr. defended his title against Ethan Page. WWN World Champion Matt Riddle defended his title against Kyle O'Reilly.
- Donovan Dijak vs. Keith Lee: The match closes out with Lee getting Dijak placed on the turnbuckles and hitting the Spirit Bomb to score the pinfall.
Winner: Keith Lee, by pinfall.
- Fred Yehi vs. Jason Kincaid: The match closes out with Yehi trapping Kincaid in the Koji Clutch submission and forcing Kincaid to tap out.
Winner: Fred Yehi, by submission.
- Lio Rush vs. Austin Theory: The match closes out with Rush going to the top rope and hitting the frog splash on Theory to score the pinfall. After the match, Priscilla Kelly comes to the ring and tells Austin Theory that he belongs with her.
Winner: Lio Rush, by pinfall.
- "Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams vs. Jeff Cobb: The match closes out with Williams countering the Tour of the Islands and scores a rollup pinfall on Cobb.
Winner: "Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams, by pinfall.
- "EVOLVE World Tag Team Championship Match": Catch Point (Chris Dickinson and Jaka) (c) vs. Matt Knicks and Isaias Velazquez: The match closes out with Catch Point hitting their finisher to score the pinfall and retain their titles.
Winners: Catch Point, by pinfall, to retain the EVOLVE World Tag Team Championship.
Winner: Zack Sabre Jr., by pinfall, to retain the EVOLVE World Championship.
Winner: Matt Riddle, by submission.
** EVOLVE 85 Recap **
- Dominic Garrini vs. Alex Reynolds: The match closes out with Garrini trapping Reynolds in a Triangle Choke submission and making Reynolds tap out.
Winner: Dominic Garrini, by submission.
- "EVOLVE World Tag Team Championship Match": Catch Point (Chris Dickinson and Jaka)(c) vs. Austin Theory and Jason Kincaid: Dickinson and Jaka hit their double team finisher on Kincaid to score the pinfall and retain their titles.
Winners: Catch Point, by pinfall, to retain the EVOLVE World Tag Team Championship.
- Allysin Kay vs. Priscilla Kelly: The match closes out with Allysin drilling Priscilla with a discus lariat to score the pinfall.
Winner: Allysin Kay, by pinfall.
- Donovan Dijak vs. Ethan Page: The match closes out with Page nailing the Spinning Dwayne on Dijak and scoring the pinfall.
Winner: Ethan Page, by pinfall.
- "Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams vs. Kyle O'Reilly: The match closes out with Williams trapping O'Reilly in the crossface submission and getting the tap out win.
Winner: "Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams, by submission.
- Keith Lee vs. Fred Yehi: The match closes out with Lee drilling Yehi with Ground Zero and scoring the pinfall.
Winner: Keith Lee, by pinfall.
- "WWN World Championship Match": Matt Riddle (c) vs. Jeff Cobb: The match closes out with Riddle trapping Cobb in the Bromission submission and forces Cobb to tap out to retain the title.
Winner: Matt Riddle, by submission, to retain the WWN World Championship.
- "EVOLVE World Championship Match": Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Lio Rush: The match closes out with Sabre trapping Rush in the Ode to Jim Breaks double arm submission and forcing Rush to tap out to retain the title.
Winner: Zack Sabre Jr., by submission, to retain the EVOLVE World Championship.
*** House of Hardcore ***
** House of Hardcore 26 Recap **
- Papadon vs. Little Guido Maritato: The match closes out with the ECW Original, Little Guido, picking up the pinfall victory after hitting the Kiss of Death on Papadon.
Winner: Little Guido Maritato, by pinfall.
- TJ Marconi vs. Matt Striker: The match closes out with Marconi missing a corner boot. Striker hits a slam and a splash for a near fall. Marconi looks for a slam of his own, but Striker counters and grabs the rollup pinfall.
Winner: Matt Striker, by pinfall.
- Alex Reynolds (w/Friedman and Maria) vs. Lance Anoai: The match closes out with Friedman getting involved and knocking Anoai off the top rope. Anoai super kicks Friedman and Reynolds both. Reynolds comes back and locks Anoai in a crossface submission and wins by tap out.
Winner: Alex Reynolds, by submission.
- Moose vs. Dan Maff: The match closes out with Moose unloading elbows and a bicycle kick. Maff lands a german suplex, but Moose is back up and nails a spear. Maff counters the Game Changer, but Moose counters that and hits the Game Changer on the next attempt for the pinfall.
Winner: Moose, by pinfall.
- "Fatal Four Way Match": Ben Ortiz vs. Pat Buck vs. Bull James vs. Rhett Titus: The match closes out with Titus and Buck trading offense. Ortiz takes out Buck and then brawls with James. James hits the Whoopie Cushion off the top rope on Buck. Titus sneaks up behind James and steals a rollup pinfall.
Winner: Rhett Titus, by pinfall.
- Ethan Carter vs. Bully Ray: The match closes out with EC3's attorney trying to get involved. The referee holds up EC3's legs allowing Bully to grab the attorney and toss him head first into EC3's jewels for the Whazz Up. Bully tells the referee to get the tables and he does. The ladies that accompanied EC3 to the ring get involved next and low blow Bully, bringing out Bully's girlfriend Velvet Sky. Velvet clears the ladies from the ring and EC3 accidentally hits his attorney going after Velvet. EC3 chases Velvet backstage when suddenly Mick Foley emerges and stalks EC3 back to the ring. Foley shoves Socko into EC3's mouth and Bully puts EC3 through a table for the pinfall.
Winner: Bully Ray, by pinfall.
- "Triple Threat Match": The Squad (Kenny and Mikey) vs. Team Tremendous (Dan Barry and Bill Carr) vs. The NOW (Hale Collins and Vik Dalishus): The match closes out with Mikey hitting a cutter, but misses a top rope splash. Barry gets crotched on the ropes by Mikey and then Mikey climbs up with Barry. Carr makes the save and Barry hits Bookem Danno on Mikey. Barry gets pulled outside by Dalishus and super kicked. Carr hits a bossman slam on Collins and then hits the Destroyer on Dalishus. Kenny leaps off the top rope outta nowhere and nails the Alabama Jam leg drop and scores the pinfall.
Winners: The Squad, by pinfall.
- Tommy Dreamer vs. Cody Rhodes: The match closes out with Dreamer grabbing a kendo stick, but Cody kicks the ropes into Dreamer's jewels and steals the kendo stick. Cody unloads kendo stick shots on Dreamer and then applies the figure four leg lock submission. Cody wedges a chair in the corner. The referee accidentally gets knocked out as Cody attempted another figure four leg lock submission. Cody hits the Disaster Kick, but Dreamer comes back with the Dreamer DDT for a near fall as the referee awakens. Dreamer unloads kendo stick shots on Cody until Cody sends Dreamer head first into the wedged chair in the corner. Cody hits Cross Rhodes on Dreamer and scores the pinfall.
Winner: Cody Rhodes, by pinfall.
- Cody Rhodes Promo: Cody thanks Tommy Dreamer and the House of Hardcore fans for inviting him here tonight and thanks Dreamer for facing him in the main event. Dreamer talks highly of Cody and the whole Rhodes family. Cody bro hugs Dreamer and says he loves him. Dreamer says he loves Cody and the whole Rhodes Family. Cody suddenly turns on Dreamer and lays Dreamer out with another Cross Rhodes. Cody stands tall as the boos rain down on him to end the show.
*** Full Impact Pro ***
** FIP Accelerate Recap **
- Anthony Henry vs. Teddy Stigma: The match closes out with Henry hitting the Avalanche Kudo Driver through a stack of chairs for the pinfall.
Winner: Anthony Henry, by pinfall.
- Mila informs Anthony Henry that the bounty on his head has yet to be lifted and Maxwell Jacob Friedman is coming after him. Amber Young interrupts and challenges Mila. Mila looks like she's going to fight, but backs down.
- FIP World Champion Fred Yehi brags that his original opponent Martin Stone is unable to compete tonight. Yehi says he does have an open challenge for us which is answered by Ethan Case. Case said he's here to prove he belongs in FIP and will take Yehi's title tonight.
- J Spade vs. Matt Lancie: The match closes out with Spade hitting the Ace of Spades on Lancie to score the pinfall. After the match, Parrow and Odinson hit the ring and beat down both men. Parrow tells Odinson to keep following his lead and they will run FIP. Their opponents for the six man tag team match hit the ring and that match is now.
Winner: J Spade, by pinfall.
- "Six Man Tag Team Match": Drennen, Odinson and Parrow vs. Bu Ku Dao, Danny Flamingo and Socorro: The match closes out with Parrow drilling Dao with a piledriver to score the pinfall.
Winners: Drennen, Odinson and Parrow, by pinfall.
- Aria Blake and Dynamite DiDi vs. Lindsey Snow and Priscilla Kelly: The match closes out with Aria hitting a double underhook DDT on Lindsey right on top of a street sign.
Winners: Aria Blake and Dynamite DiDi, by pinfall.
- AR Fox vs. Jason Kincaid: The match closes out with Fox hitting the straightjacket brain buster on Kincaid to score the pinfall.
Winner: AR Fox, by pinfall.
- "FIP Florida Heritage Championship Match": Jon Davis (c) vs. Caleb Konley: The match closes out with Davis trapping Konley in a half crab submission and getting the tap out win to retain his title.
Winner: Jon Davis, by submission, to retain the FIP Florida Heritage Championship.
- Jon Davis calls Caleb Konley a scumbag and demands him to get out of the ring. Davis then goes on to challenge WWN World Champion Matt Riddle and says FIP needs to stop taking Davis lightly.
- "FIP World Championship Match": Fred Yehi (c) vs. Ethan Case: The match closes out with Yehi trapping Case in the Koji Clutch submission and wins by tap out to retain his title.
Winner: Fred Yehi, by submission, to retain the FIP World Championship.
- "Fatal Four Way Match": Jason Cade vs. Austin Theory vs. James Drake vs. Jon Cruz: During the match, AR Fox arrived and went after Theory, chasing Theory backstage. The match closes out with Cade hitting a frog splash on Cruz and scoring the pinfall. After the match, Cade challenges Caleb Konley. Konley attacks, beats down Cade and accepts the challenge.
Winner: Jason Cade, by pinfall.
*** 5 Star Wrestling ***
*** Other ***
- Brian Pillman Jr. News: This past week it was reported that Brian Pillman Jr. (son of the late great Brian Pillman) has begun training at Ohio Valley Wrestling with Rip Rogers as his teacher. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the son of a loose cannon.
- GLOW On Netflix: If you haven't seen the trailer for the new Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling show on Netflix yet then check it out below. GLOW begins in June of this year.
And that's this week's W3C! Join me every Sunday afternoon as I bring you news, recaps and rumors all around the wrestling world!